Sleeping on Stomach Change Breast Implants Volume?

I wanted bigger breasts because im athletic and I didnt have any. I had a Breast augmentation done on December 2008 and I have gel implants. Will the volume change if I sleep on my tummy?

No

+2

Within reason external pressure on your breast implants will not change their volume. There should be no problems at this point by sleeping on your tummy.

Dr Edwards

Web reference: http://medwardsmd.com/plasticsurgery_questions1.html

Sleeping on your stomach will not harm implants

+2

Hi, you should sleep in whatever position is comfortable for you. Breast implants are much tougher than people think, and it takes a great deal of trauma, as for example in a direct force from a car accident, to rupture them. I normally tell patients to sleep on their backs for two weeks after surgery to prevent soreness, but at this point you should have no restrictions. Good luck!

Sleeping position and breast implants

+2

The position in which you sleep should have no effect on the size or shape of your implants.   Implants are pretty resilient and should be OK.

Sleep position will not affect breast implants

+2

For the first week or two after breast augmentation whether with a silicone gel or a saline implant it will be more comfortable to wear a support bra at night and you will find sleeping on your back or side more comfortable. After the soreness has worked itself out however you will be able to sleep on your stomach if you prefer without any harm to the implant or your results. The rule after augmentation is full and normal activity without limitation, and many don't think about their implants at all! When you do find you are in need of a mammogram, remember to tell the technician so they can adjust the study to do the proper views.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast Implants

+2

Sleeping on your tummy will not change the volume of the implants.  Implants are quite strong and certainly not designed to fail.  You should be able to do all the things you did before you had the implants placed.

Sleep in any position that makes you sleep!

+1

Don't worry about the implants. The silicone shell on the outer surface of both saline and gel implants is very thick and strong. It is not easily damaged. Many patients get kicked in the chest by their kids, get into minor car accidents with air bags, etc. and the implants are able to tolerate all of that. If you have a defect in the implant then it is possible to have a tear from one of these events. However, sleeping on your belly is totally fine 2 weeks after surgery, let alone 6 months. Have a restful night!

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.