Will my Breast Implants Get Smaller 4 Weeks Post-Op?

I got breast implants 4 weeks ago. I went with 360 ccs, and they look WAY too big. Any chance, will they get smaller?

I believe that at four weeks after surgery it is still too early to make a final judgment on the size, shape, and projection. Over the next several weeks, and even over the next several months, you will still see some continued changes in your breasts. Wait to make your final judgment, and continue to work with your surgeon during this follow-up time period.  

The implants will not get smaller, however...

Your chest tissues no doubt are tight right now and as you heal and time passes your breasts will get softer and take on a more natural appearance. The actual volume of your breasts won't change but the shape will. As usual, discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon for your reassurance.

Dr Edwards

Breast size with settling

Thank you for your question. During the post-operative period the breast are swollen, and the breast implants appear in a much higher position. Over time they descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. After the swelling goes down the breasts will appear smaller. However, as the implants settle, it may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast).

Breast implant swelling post op

Yes, you are still swollen. This swelling may persist for a few weeks. Your implants probably seem "high" to you as well. This is normal as people usually look great on the table, and when they wake up the implants rise up toward the collar bone. They will usually start to move downward at about three weeks. It may take 6 to 12 months for some implants to settle into final position. Do not run out and buy a bunch of new bras anytime soon. Let your board certified plastic surgeon know your thoughts. They will help you through the process.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Will my Breast Implants Get Smaller 4 Weeks Post-Op

Thank you for submitting your question and photo. Your very early in your recovery from breast augmentation surgery. Your implants will soften and your breasts will change over the next several weeks. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon for reassurance. Best wishes.

Breast Size Following Surgery

It’s not unusual for breast augmentation patients to be concerned about breast size following surgery. In the immediate post-operative period patients often have severe swelling and muscle spasm. This can cause the breasts to look larger than they really are and induce significant anxiety.
Swelling resolves quickly with the vast majority being gone in about three weeks. Almost all the visible swelling is gone in four to six weeks but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to three to four months following surgery.
In addition, muscle spasms gradually resolve as well. When this happens, the implants gradually drop into normal position and the breasts often appear smaller. Compression bras and dressings are frequently used following breast augmentation to minimize swelling and muscle spasm. Swelling and muscle spasm can add to a patients post-operative discomfort. They can also increase anxiety regarding breast size immediately after surgery.
For these reasons we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication regarding this topic immediately following surgery. In this situation a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience.

Wait Three to Four Months For Breast Augmentation Results

Your breast implants haven't settled, yet, considering that it generally takes about three to four months. During this time, the implants will drop a bit and gently round out the bottom portion of your breasts, so that they look more natural. They won't sit so high and take on a more natural appearance. Please wait to see whether you still think they're too big at that time, as many patients change their minds.

Breast implants may settle

New implants generally look full on the top of the breast and a bit unusual. Settling refers to the tendency for the implants to mature to eventually provide more fullness on the bottom aspect of the breast. This can take a few months to occur. As the shape changes women generally adjust to them and are happy. I would see your surgeon and get his or her input but be prepared to wait a little before doing anything.

So to answer your question: they don't get smaller but they do mature to look more natural. There is hope.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately not.

Hi.   This is a common complaint.  You do have large implants.  Wait another 3 or 4 months, and then you may well need a replacement.

In NYC, we use disposable implant SIZERS during surgery to determine optimal size, before we open the permanent implants.  This takes the guess work out.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Be Patient

Your observation is very common and comes from several factors.

1. Your breasts are bigger

2. They tend to ride high initially

3. Your body is telling your brain that there is something big in your chest

4. Swelling.

My experience is that swelling is the least coomon cause for feeling too big. As you heal the muscles and skin will relax, the implant will come down and everything will become more and more natural.

Any plastic surgeon will tell you that most patients feel that they could have gone bigger and very few think they are too big.

Give the whole process 3-6 months

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon