Breast Implant Size and Placement for Slim, Sporty Woman?

I am a 34 AA, slim, 42-year-old who is very sporty. My ribcage under my breast is 30 inches. I am having breast implants and don't want to have large breasts, just some! Under the muscle my surgeon says, but sizing, he recommends 200 cc. I am thinking maybe 175 cc or is that pathetic? Also, I have been told you can lose 10% by going under the muscle? What would you advise for me?

Breast Implants for slim, athletic woman

+3
I perform many very conservative breast augmentation surgery procedures. The before and after images can be found on my breast augmentation gallery. I even have a section on my website devoted to breast implants and athletic women.
You could get a great result if performed by a plastic surgeon experienced with biodimensional planning. Look at a lot of photos as a way to start your search.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant placement for a sporty woman

+3

Dear Katie

This is a double edged sword. I would recommend going under the muscle with silicone implants. I think you are too thin for over unless you are a professional athelete. and the small amount of muscle would hinder your performance.

As far as size goes you need to take several things into consideration - amount of breast tissue and skin, skin laxity, base diameter of the breast any drooping, etc. All these factors may affect what size implant to use. Also knowing your height and weight would help.

I do think you are a good candidate and your surgeon and you are being realistic with sizing. I use measurements, Portrait 3-D imaging and pictures to discuss with patients pre-op and still rely on sizers or test implants during surgery to get it right. Sometimes a 225 cc implant although slightly big initially will give you the best long term result.

Talk to your surgeon and try not to bind his hands within reason as far as size goes but show him the look you want to achieve. Good luck with your surgery.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

200-250 cc breast implants are the smallest breast implants I would use on sporty slim woman

+2

Almost all women who have had breast implants wish at one year that they had gone larger (at least in states other than California, where very large implants are the rule).

In my experience, a 175 cc implant is hardly noticeable. 200 cc is a good choice, but 250 cc would also give you a very nice result.

Always follow the advice of the surgeon you have chosen. If you don't feel comfortable with the advice, see another board certified plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast implant size and placement for slim, sporty woman?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Given your desires, a breast augmentation, with an implant or fat grafting, would be an ideal procedure that would meet your expectations. Breast augmentation is now the most popular procedure performed in plastic surgery today. One tolerated very well by women with minimal downtime and high patient satisfaction.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, etc). Your height, weight, breast width, and body habitus will make a difference for which implant style/projection to choose. Implant profile will also make a difference on the projection, which will influence overall breast/cup size. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you of results. Sizers are helpful during an in-office consultation. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. This is the most important determinant for the sizing of implants, which will provide the optimal result and most aesthetically-pleasing result for you.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various options and factors to consider and help you decide which one will be the right one for you. Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant Sizing in Petite Woman

+1

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection other than in office exam and good communication with your surgeon.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1

The use of sizers in your bra  preoperatively does not accurately correlate with the size of breasts achieved with sub muscular implants. I think that it is very important that you communicate clearly with your surgeon to maximize the chances of achieving your desired breast size.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.

I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Breast Implant Size and Placement for Slim, Sporty Woman

+1

If you have tried a 150 cc implant and are happy with the appearance than you should be pleased with a 175cc implant under the muscle.

Breast implant size

+1

The right size for you really depends upon what several factors including approximate volume or cup size that you would like to get into. Of course base diameter of the breast and starting volume are just a few of the variables.

Breast implant size

+1

To have a natural look, implant size and placement is very important. If you want a little breast volume and a natural look, I would recommend a subpectoral placement of a moderate profile implant. Implant size 250 to 280cc. You being very slender and sporty would make this approach and placement ideal. A full evaluation and discussion with your surgeon would be necessary in making the final decision.

Chester K. Cheng, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

What size breast implant is right for me?

+1

This is a very common question in my office and on realself.com. Breast implant sizing is a little bit of an art, but a lot of it is truly based on measurements. You need the base width of the breast tissue, medial and lateral pinch measurements, upper pole thickness. These are all very very important in making the final decision regarding size. At that point, you will have a few options within a size range. If you are asking us the difference specifically between a 175 and a 200cc implant, that is difficult to answer. It is a subtle difference and only you and your surgeon together and figure out which might be better. Having said that, women who are unhappy after breast augmentation are usually unhappy because they chose an implant size that was too small. Keep that in mind.

In terms of location, someone with thin skin and minimal breast tissue (maybe this describes you given the picture) will benefit from placement under the muscle. However, if you are "sporty" and tend to lift weights, your implants will clearly show when you work out since the pectoralis muscle contraction will push the implants out to the side. You really need to weigh the pros and cons of this with your surgeon and pick a location. If you don't mind the motion while lifting weights, then under the muscle will likely look more natural for you. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD