500cc Breast Implants to Achieve D Cup?

Hello, I am 5'9" tall and weighing 137 lbs. My chest is narrow and I am barely a 34B. I had my consultation yesterday and the doctor suggested 500cc to make me a D. I have been doing some research and I think this may be too large. Any comments? I want to be a Large C to a Small D in cup size.

500cc Breast implants D cup - or BUST

+2

Dear Mossyoak,

A 500 cc implant may not be big in Texas, but it is quite large everywhere else.

In the absence of a physical examination, it would be presumptous on my part to second guess your surgeon.

In choosing an implant, I follow the teaching of MY favorite great Texan - Dr. Tebbets of Dallas, who pounded several considerations into many of us.
1. Bigger is not always better. (Implants over 350 cc are associated with permanent, irreversible changes in the implanted breasts)
2. Proportionate always trumps just plain "big"
3. How much skin laxity do your breasts currently have ? How much can they physically stretch to take an implant?
4. How much breast fat/gland do you have which will cover an implant to make its folds less visible?

Each one of these factors is crucial. Placing a breast implant WELL depends on planning before surgery and a thorough education of the patient as to what is possible VS. what is advisable.

In woman such as yourself, the Mentor 2000 (MP plus) saline implants or Mentor gel HP implants in the range of 350 to 400cc will probably do the job you indicate you want. I would invest in seeing at least another Board certified Plastic surgeon to get his/her perspective.

Good Luck.

Proper Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate recommendation, I would need to perform an exam with detailed measurements of your chest wall and breast mound.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant choices

+1

500 cc is a lot and may leave you quite large.  My average implant that I use is between 250-400 cc's for most patients.

Breast Implant Size

+1

Although you are tall and thin, you're frame (actually your breast width) and skin elasticity may limit the size of implant you may desire with the least risk. In 30 years of doing breast surgery I have yet to find the need to use a 500cc implant except in rare cases of tissue expansion to reconstruct a breast, but even the final permanent implant was much smaller. You should be close to your desired size and proportions with 350-400cc, but discuss with your surgeon (or get a second opinion) what they would expect as well as the placement of the implant and the incisions.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Too large.

+1

Hi!

500 cc breast implants are too large on almost any body, and they age very poorly. Your expectations seem very realistic, and you need implants between 300 cc's and 400 cc's.

In Manhattan, we use disposable implant sizers in the operating room to make the final decision. That way there is no guess work.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)