Silicone Breast Implants for Someone Under 22?

I am so desperate to get breast implants. I currently use silicone inserts to put in my bra everyday and I am sick of being limited to certain clothes for fear of my inserts being discovered. I know that I can get saline implants but I have very little breast tissue so they wouldn't be natural feeling. I just want to know, is there somewhere or someone I can go to get silicone implants without being 22+ years of age? Thanks.

+1

In my opinion, there is no good reason why there is an FDA mandated age of 22 for patients to receive silicone breast implants. There are many patients under the age of 22 who would ( based on their body type and the advantages of silicone breast implants) benefit from the use of silicone gel breast implants. Unfortunately, the use of these implants for these younger patients will negate the breast implant manufacturer warranty.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Silicone breast implants for a younger woman

+1

If you are not 22 years of age or older, the FDA does NOT recommend silicone breast implants for augmentation. Personally, I have never done it in anyone younger than 22 years of age. I seriously doubt that you will find someone willing to do it. If you did, I would be very wary about trusting them. You should either opt for saline implants or wait until you are 22. Sorry.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Possibly, by not with Dr. Kasden.

+1

Guidelines are that the female must be older than 22.

So here is my concern.  If you go to someone who will break the rules he agrees to follow, how can you trust him?  Saline makes a fine augmentation, or you may choose to wait until you are 22.  I know it is hard to be patient.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

You need to be 22 to be "legal" for silicone implants

+1

The current FDA recommendation requires that patients be 22 to receive silicone implants. I understand your dilemma, but want to you to be realistic. Do you really want to go to a Plastic Surgeon that won't follow government regulations? If they are willing to break that rule, what else are they willing to do?

Remember that millions of women under the age of 22 had saline implants placed between 1992 and 2006 while gels were off the market. Even my own employees had them done and love their saline implants.

If you feel augmentation is right for you now, have saline. You can always change them for silicone at a later date.

Good Luck!

David A. Dreyfuss, MD

Might consider a new saline implant - Ideal Implant

+1

A thorough examination by an experienced plastic surgeon is the only way to tell if a gel implant or a saline filled implant would be best in your situation. The FDA has recommended that gel implants be restricted to women over 22. This does sound somewhat arbitrary but it is the current recommendation. There is a new implant that is currently undergoing limited clinical trials. This is the Ideal Implant. It is a saline filled implant that has been designed to have the feel of a gel implant. Go to Idealimplant.com for more information and to see if you would qualify for the study.

22 and silicone gel implants

+1

Silicone gel implants for primary breast augmentation can not be used in patients under 22 as mandated by the FDA.  If you want silicone gel implants over saline implants in the US you will have to wait.

Silicone is possible but may not be the best

+1

When the FDA approved the use of silicone implants for cosmetic augmentation they set some recommendations according to the scientific data that they had before them. Since there was very limited data on the use of silicone implants in women younger than 22 years old they used that as their recommendation. Keep in mind this is a recommendation and not a law.

As plastic surgeons we use a lot materials and products that are "off label" in our practice. The "off label" use of an FDA approved product should only be done with a clear understanding by the surgeon and the patient. In the case of silicone implants, you can use silicone implants younger than 22 years old but it is "off label" and the manufacturer will not honor the traditional warranty when used in this manner.

If you are close to 22 years old I would recommend waiting until you can get the product you want with the full warranty coverage. Saline implants do give you a nice result but this is a choice you will have to make.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Don't count out saline breast implants for augmentation

+1

Silicone gel breast implants are restricted or 'not approved' for women under 22 years of age. The decision seems arbitrary for if you had developmental asymmetry of the breast you are permitted breast reconstruction with a silicone gel implant.

Still you should not count out the possibility of a excellent augmentation with a saline breast implant. Before the gel implant was reintroduced for augmentation saline implants have been used, now for over 15 years, and most often with excellent results. In our practice we still use saline implants for issues of age that you mention, cost, lack of need for an MRI study to detect leak, the very small incision to place the implant, the maintained softness over years, and the lower capsule contracture rate. Even in an A-minus cup size the saline implant in a submuscular location can be well covered, smooth and attractive. Finally consider at your young age of 20 something, after 10 to 15 years when your implants have worn at say age 30 to 35, you again will have the option to select a saline vs. a gel implant as your implants need replacement. Many of our patients do choose the saline the second time.

Both implants, saline and gel, are in use and neither is "the answer" for all patients. If you really want an augmentation don't count out a saline prosthesis.

peterejohnsonmd

How old are you?

+1

Rokkon,

You may be able to find someone to insert silicone gel filled implants, but not likely on this site.  Everyone on this site is board certified and will likely adhere to the recommendations put forth by the FDA.

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Silicone for 22 and older

+1

Most reputable plastic surgeons would not put in breast implants for augmentation in anyone under 22.  First the FDA only approves silicone for people 22 and older and additionally the warranties of the implants by the manufacture may not be upheld if placed in someone under 22.

Kari L. Colen, MD