Can I Get Breast Implants with Scoliosis?

I'm 26 years old and when I was about 15 I was told I had an S curve in my spine, about a 26 degree angle. My breast are extremely uneven. My left is about a small c and my right is an A. I really need get implants because my self esteem is well you can imagine. Is it safe for me to go ahead and get Implants? Will it cause me to curve more? I have no health insurance so i dont know the status of my back. I dont think it has gotten worse though.

Breast augmentation and Scoliosis

+1

Generally speaking scoliosis is not a contraindication to breast augmentation surgery. Since your scoliosis has not been evaluated for a long time it may behoove you to be seen by a spine specialist prior to the breast augmentation surgery however.

Having said that, many patients with scoliosis will benefit from breast augmentation surgery in regards to breast size as well as breast symmetry. I have seen patient's self-esteem significantly improved after the procedure.

Scoliosis and Breast Implants

+1

Natalie,

Breast augmentation should have no effect on your scoliosis. Achieving symmetry becomes more difficult, depending on the degree of scoliosis. I suggest that you meet with a plastic surgeon who can evaluate your chest wall and discuss options with you.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Breast Augmentation in patient with Scoliosis is a valid option

+1

Scoliosis is not an contraindication for breast augmentation.  You can have your surgery. It will not impact scoliosis in any negative way.  Go for it.   

Vasdev Rai, MD

Scoliosis and breast implants

+1

Breast implants should not have any impact on your scoliosis.  If you desire breast augmentation you should go for a consultation and figure out your options. Good luck.

Breast Augmentation Can Be Safely Done In Scoliosis

+1

There is no reason why with a scoliosis condition that you can not have breast augmentation. Breast implants will have no negative effects or worsening on your scoliosis, they simply are not that heavy. The only issue with placing breast implants in significant scoliosis is that the result will not be one of perfect symmetry. You are asymmetric both in breast size and in the orientation of your chest and will be so afterwards albeit with larger breasts. You need to have a thorough consultation to look at breast implant types, sizing and position so you can get the best looking result possible. While your breasts may never be absolutely symmetric, you want to avoid having the asymmetry get worse which can theoretically happen as the breast mounds become bigger.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast implants are safe, even with scoliosis

+1

There are many causes of breast asymmetry, and scoliosis is often associated because of the affect of chest shape. The difference in you cup size, A to C is significant and breast implants are an option to you that should not have any affect on the scoliosis.

peterejohnsonmd

Scoliosis

+1

I cannot comment on your scoliosis or the safety in your specific case of a breast augmentation. However I have performed many breast augmentation cases in patients with scoliosis. The success depends on the degree of scoliosis and the patient's anatomy in the breast area.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Breast Implants Should Have No Effect On Scoliosis

+1

Undergoing an augmentation mammoplasty with eith silicone or saline implants should have no effect on your scoliosis.  The reverse, however, is not the case.  The scoliolis will make it more difficult to achieve perfect symmetry with your augmentation, especially with your pre-existent asymmetry.  You should obtain a consultation with one or more board-certified plastic surgeons with whom you can discuss your options and your potential benefits and risks.

John Whitt, MD

Gel breast implants in a patient with scoliosis should not be a problem

+1

There are all degrees of Scoliosis which may make it harder or easier to get close to symetry with breast augmentation. I see no real problem with breast implants with patients with scoliosis. I have done quite a number of breast implants on patients with Scoliosis. It should definately improve your self esteem. Good luck. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD