Removing Scar Tissue from Breast Implant Surgery

I have scar tissue on my right implant which leaves no cleavage on that side. How is scar tissue removed?

Clevage issue

+1

If you are complaining that the implant is tight and spaced away from your midline where you expect to see more cleavage, then you probably have a tight capsule that need to be removed.

Capsulectomy is the procedure

+1

The name of the procedure you are asking about is capsulectomy. It might improve your cleavage although the capsule might not be the whole problem. Capsulectomy just involves removing the majority of that scar capsule to soften the implanted breast.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Capsulectomy

+1

Hi there-

The procedure is called a capsulectomy, and in my practice is always done as an outpatient procedure, with much less discomfort than you experienced with your first. Recovery and restrictions are also diminished.

Make a visit to your surgeon and discuss timing and options.

You will need to have another surgical procedure

+1

You will need to have another surgical procedure to remove the implant, take out the scar tissue and replace the implant. This surgery should be much easier for you than your original surgery.

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Scar release change implant

+1

The scar tissue could be totally removed (total capsulectomy) or released ( capsulotomy). In general i would change the implant as well if it was a tight scar. The cleavage could be enhanced within limit by removing the scar and some dissection towards the midline. This has to be done in a conservative way otherwise you can get to the other extreme wgich is very hard to fix(symmastia). Hope that helps!

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/breast-2/

Scar removal is called a capsulectomy

+1

If you have developed excessive scar tissue around one of your implants, it can be removed with surgery. The implant is taken out and the scar tissue is released and partially or totally removed modifying the pocket so that when the new implant is inserted it will look better and feel soft. If your implants are above the muscle, it might be wise to convert to below the muscle next time.

Several techniques for scar tissue removal

+1

There are several techniques to remove the scar tissue from the healthy non-scar breast tissue. Usually they are all used at some time during the procedrue.

Essentially, the scar tissue is placed on traction, and a natural plane of dissection is noted between the capsule (scar tissue) and the natural breast. Scissors, scalpel, electrocautery, or even blunt dissection can be used. Sometimes the entire capsule is removed, sometimes it is weakened in areas to allow more fullness in that area. Sometimes I will leave a strip in place to sew to, as it gives strength for the suture untils the tissue heals. Your question was not specific, so my answer can't be that specific, but I hope this helps.

Cleavage can usually be improved.

+1

The implants can be brought closer together to increase cleavage. Sometimes, a part of the internal lining around the implant is removed. This lining if it is tight may be what you are calling scar tissue, and removing it is called a capsulectomy.

Of course I don't know exactly what the problem is, but it can probably be fixed.

A capsulectomy required for removing scar tissue

+1

If you have capsular contraction around your breast implant, which is severe enough to cause a visible defect, then it is a grade 3 or 4 capsule.

In my experience, an open capsulectomy (removal of the scar tissue) provides the best chance for a good result.

Your implant is removed and the scar tissue is carefully dissected off of the surrounding tissues and removed, and a new breast implant is placed.

Some surgeons just do a capsulotomy, which is the technique of making incisions to release the capsule, but leaving the scar tissue behind. In my experience, the capsulotomy has a much higher chance of recurrant tightening than does capsulectomy, which removes the capsule.

It is often very diffeicult to remove the 'back wall' of the capsule which is adherant to the chest wall. I often leave it behind. However, I do think it is important to remove all of the "dome' of the capsule which surrounds the sides and top of the implant.

If a capsulectomy is performed, there is a good chance that you will have a soft, moveable implant after surgery.

In my opinion, it is essential to do displacement exercises (massaging) after your surgery to keep the implant space large.

You may have capsular contracture

+1

You do not give any details about your surgery. You may have a contracture. When the capsule around the implant tightens, the breast feels firmer and the contracture pulls the implant higher and more laterally. See your original plastic surgeon or a different one if you desire. Make sure your plastic surgeon is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon