Decreasing Scar Size from Breast Augmentation?

I had a DD tuberous breast and a barely A cup when I was fourteen. To make them even I got a saline breast implant in one breast and had reconstructive/reduction surgery on the other at age 16. Based on the photos I have seen, it seems like my surgeon did a messy job. I have two huge indented scars at the bottom/center of my nipple and breast, and thick scars around my nipple. I tried vitamin E oil and the scars are still extremely noticeable. Is there anything I can do to make the scars less noticeable?

Scars of breast reduction

+1

It sounds like you may need a scar revision of your previous breast reduction. I would see a qualified plastic surgeon to be evaluated. Good luck.

Revision breast reduction should get you much better scars and shape.

+1

Hi.

We see a number of young women like you.  I am pretty sure you can be made a lot better with a revision breast reduction and perhaps something done to the other side.  I am afraid only surgery will help you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Surgical revision after evaluation

+1

At this point after your surgery, you should meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon to evaluate if a scar revision would help.

It may be a relatively straight-forward scar revision or they may recommend more extensive surgery to change what bothers you.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Scars can be revised but never removed

+1

What you are describing is the toughest starting point for any elective breast surgey. A huge tubular breast and an extreme asymmetry. It is not necessarily the case theat the doctor did a messy job because truthfully, yours was never going to be anywhere close to perfect - it just isn't possible. As the others have said, you can do a variety of topical treatments, lasers, massage and streoid injections or even revise the scars. Try to appreciate the difference from your starting point to where you are now and not focus too much on the scars.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Topical treatments and surgical options for unacceptable breast scars

+1

Contemplate the use of silicone gel products such as Silon TSR. The use of silicone gel ointments or preparations does not provide the same benefits but nonetheless has been shown to improve scars.

However, scar revision is most likely the best option to produce a significant scar improvement. It may be that the young age of your inittial surgery and continued growth may have contributed to the wide and depressed scars you describe. Defer any breast revisions until your breasts have stabiliized in size

Yes.

+1

First, time from surgery is important, as the scars tend to fade and look better over time (> 1 year).  Secondly, although the scar may look messy, it is not always an indicator that the surgeon did a bad job.

So where do we go from here?  Steroid shots may help, or scar revision.

Hope that helps.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

You may require a scar revision

+1

It's difficult to know without examining you, but my guess is that you will likely need a procedure aimed and minimizing the scars. No surgery can make the scars disappear, but we can make them narrower and flatter. Talk to a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area, as he will be able to examine you and give you some options for improving the scars.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon

+1

Hello

Without seeing you in person for an evaluation, it is hard to make recommendations.  Indented scars can sometimes be revised, but the best way to find out is to have a thorough consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon