Do Textured Breast Implants Cause Tissue Loss During Removal?

I currently have the Inamed 410 form stable implants - 280 grams. I am having them replaced in March 2009 with 200cc Mentor Round Moderate Profile Silicones. The 410s are textured and I've heard that when these implants are removed, the breast tissue that they had adhered to can be removed with the implant as well. Is this true?

I didn't have much tissue to start with and would hate to lose any that I did have. Also, the fact that my first BA was in early December of 2008 (only three months before my re-do) mean that perhaps the implant hasn't completely adhered? Thanks in advance. Your repsonses have been very comforting.

Textured breast implants do cause a thicker capsule around breast implants

+4

Sandy,

Be sure and discuss these concerns with your doctor. It is true that textured breast implants do cause a thicker capsule around the breast implant, which can be very adherent. If the doctor feels he/she has to remove the entire capsule before inserting your new implants, then there is some risk that some of the breast tissue around the implant could be removed as well.

However, I have removed textured implants and replaced them with both silicone gel breast implants and with saline breast implants, and the patients have looked excellent and been very happy.

Sometimes, the peri capsular tissue can be left in place so there will be no reduction in the tissue surrounding your breast implant.

Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. This is a common procedure and patients are usually very satisfied with the new implant look.

There should not be tissue loss

+2

I do a lot of revision work in Orange County of breast implants, and I am on the study for the 410 implants for reconstruction and for revision surgery. There should not be any loss of tissue because of the implants being textured generally.

I would not personally do your surgery until the inflamation had gone down from the original surgery. I would wait at least 6 months in the best of cases, and probably a year for the best results. The reason for this is that there is still inflamation at 3 months when you are going to do a revision. With inflamation, there is more vasculature. This means that there is usually more bleeding with the revision. We know that there are markedly more complications like capsular contracture and infection when there is bleeding after surgery, than if there is no bleeding in the pocket at revision. I would question if you should have the surgery right now, or if you would ultimately get a better overall result if you waited for the inflamation to go down. Personally, I will not operate on my own complications unless it has been a year from the original surgey to stack the deck in my and the patients favor to get a better result.

You should not loose much tissue from having the textured implants. Only if you are going to have a capsulectomy, and even then, if your surgeon is careful, he would only remove the scar. If you look at my very best result with the 410 implant and put it next to my best result with a smooth wall implant under the muscle, the smooth wall implant under the muscle looks most natural hands down (if you do not get a capsular contracture).

Web reference: http://www.danmillsmd.com/

No tissue is lost during textured implant removal

+2

The textured surface of this implant is readily separated from the capsule that has formed around it and you will not lose any tissue. Make sure the shape change is what you are truly looking for!

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

You need to have an open dialogue with your plastic surgeon discussing your issues and concerns

+2

To accurately answer your question, a detailed physical examination needs to be performed. In general, textured implants do promote a thicker scar capsule surrounding the implant.

Assuming that you do not have a problem with hardening of the breasts due to ‘scar capsular contraction’, your plastic surgeon should be able to preserve the vast majority of your tissue surrounding each mammary implant.

Your concerns are very valid. I would encourage you to continue to have an open dialogue with your plastic surgeon discussing your issues with him/her.

I hope this helps!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Texturized Silicone Implants Can Be Removed Easily Without Tissue Loss

+1

In the vast majority of patients, texturized silicone implants can be removed easily without tissue loss. Occasionally, patients will develop capsule formation when these implants are utilized. Under these circumstances, a capsulectomy may be necessary, but breast tissue is not typically removed when this maneuver is performed.

It’s important to wait at least six months before proceeding with revisional breast surgery. This allows resolution of swelling, muscle spasm and inflammation and ultimately provides a better result. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Textured Breast Implant Removal

+1
While it is true that tissue will adhere to a textured surface implant, this does not lead to a greater amount of tissue removal when your implants are replaced.  Your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be able to easily separate the tissue from the textured implant so I would not be concerned about loss of volume.
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal and loss of tissue

+1

You should lose no tissue with removal of textured implants. I wonder why you are having these changed so soon after your surgery?

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

+1

Textured implants do not cause tissue loss,however,they often have thicker capsules that are frequently removed ,If the breasts are small ,this tissue removal can result in noticable volume loss

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tissue loss with implant removal

+1

The volume change in your implants after explantation depends on what other tissue, if any, is removed with your implants.  Textured implants become adherent to the tissues inside, but are easily separated from this tissue during surgery.  The scar (capsule) around your implant may or may not be removed with your implants. Scott Newman, MD fACS

Breast Tissue is Not Removed with Implant Removal!

+1

Implant removal does not mean breat tissue removal.  Even when capsulectomy is performed to remove scar tissue around the implant, care is taken so that no breast tissue is removed.