Running After Breast Implants?

After having Breast implants, will I be able to go running without affecting the implants?

Usually need 4 - 6 weeks before participating in activities where the breast bounce up and down.

+4

The one part of breast augmentation that is difficult to control is the formation of the capsule around the implant. I instruct all of my submuscular breast augmentation patients to avoid any activity that causes a jack hammer effect. It is the over and over impact of the implant against the forming capsule and breast tissue that can cause implant malposition. I generally restrict activities such as high impact aerobics and jogging for hte first 4 - 6 weeks.

Wait 2-3 weeks after breast implants before running and wear a sports bra

+4

I ask my patients to wait 2-3 weeks before running after breast augmentation with breast implants. Be sure to ask your surgeon and follow his/her advice.

Running after breast implants will not hurt the implant. My concern is that the weght of the implant bouncing against the lower breast skin over time could cause the implant to stretch the skin and have the implant move down too far.

Wearing a supportive jogging bra solves this potential problem and should prevent "bottoming out" of the implant after years of running.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Running After Breast Implant Surgery

+3

We often get very fit patients in our office.  We usually take into consideration the patient's lifestyle.  Post operatively we usually have our patients wear a sports bra for uniform compression.  We will guide our patients' increase in physical activity as we see them in our office after surgery.  Usually running/jogging is at 8 weeks.  A good sports bra is needed for this type of activity.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Running after breast implants

+3
Yes, you can run after having breast augmentation surgery. However, you need to support your new breasts with approproate running bras to prevent "bottoming out" and laxity of the breast skin

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Running after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Yes, you will be able to run after breast augmentation surgery without affecting the breast implants.

As you plan the operation,  communicate with your plastic surgeon about your size goals. Make sure you take into consideration your  lifestyle and athletic activities.

In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.    I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Running and implants

+2

I usually allow paitents to start jogging or running about 4 weeks after surgery provided everything went smoothly.

Running and exercise will not affect breast implants

+2

There should never be a trade-off between living fully and doing the things you want to do and cosmetic surgery. Cosmetic improvements should enhance your quality of life and make you feel able to take on challenges. Recreational running and competitive running are possible after breast augmentation and will not affect your result or the life of the breast implants. I see many runners in my practice as I am a competitive runner as well and some are troubled by a very small breast, and fewer by a larger and heavy breast. At local or community runs though you will find women of all ability ranges, shapes and sizes.

Better runners usually do not want to be hindered by a large breast size though often seek augmentation to 'have something' under their jog bra, maybe a B cup though a C may be OK as well. If running is important to you I do not recommend the two jog bra solution and would suggest a more modest augmentation than a full C or a D cup size, but only you will know what best fits your lifestyle.

peterejohnsonmd

You can certainly run after breast implant surgery

+2

There is no reason why you couldn't run after a breast augmentation-- just listen to your doctor's instructions regarding activity restrictions during the healing period (usually a few weeks or so) and once he gives you the go-ahead, you should be fine.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Of course!

+2

Gravity, motion, and skin stretch obviously have some effect on breast skin. Huge breast implants in pendulous breasts without a bra while jogging would have more of an effect than would small implants in firm breasts with a good bra.

The bottom line is that running is so good for one's health and mind that I would never advice someone interested in running to skip it for the sake of their breasts. Just wear a good bra and enjoy yourself.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Yes you can run with implants

+2

Yes, you can run with implants.

I generally advise patients to wear a strongly supportive "jog" bra. In individuals who have larger implants (for example orver 350), I typically recommend that they consider wearing up to 2 jog bras especially if considering horseback riding or more vigorous activites.