One Breast a Cup Size Larger After Augmentation

I had breast implants and mini Tummy Tuck on June 18, 2009.  I noticed last week that the area right on top of my scar (under my right breast) is very hard. I figured it was scar tissue and kept up with my massages. I noticed today, my right breast is a lot larger than my left. Noticeably. I'd say a cup size. Is this normal at this stage?

If one breast is a cup size larger, call your surgeon

+1

Your description, which I assume is accurate, is cause for concern and you should be discussing this with your surgeon. There are several potential reasons for why this could be happening but your surgeon should evaluate you.

Hard to say without an exam

+1

You need to discuss this with your plastic surgeonHe/she are the only ones that know what occured during your surgery. It does take weeks to months to see the final results of your surgery.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

One breast larger than the other

+1

If you have a noticeable difference between the sizes of your breasts after they looked pretty symmetric, I would be concerned that you have a hematoma.

Either a hematoma or seroma on one side, or a leak on the other

+1

If your breasts were the same size before surgery and the implants were the same size, your breasts should be the same size now. You should discuss this with your surgeon and find out if you have some extra fluid onthe large side or too little in the implant on the other side.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Get evaluated by your surgeon

+1

If right after the surgery you were symetric and then your size changed after a couple of days there is something going on that needs to be addressed. It may be a blood collection (hematoma), fluid collection, (seroma), or even more rare a breast milk collection. In any case this is something that will more than likely require surgery to drain.

The sooner you get this taken care of, the better.

Good Luck!

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

I think you have a hematoma in your right breast.

+1

Hi!

This sounds like a hematoma (collection of blood) in your right breast after breast augmentation. Whatever it is, it needs prompt attention.

In New York, we would do a sonogram on your breast right away to make a diagnosis. You may need needle aspiration under ultrasound control, or an operation to get the hematoma out. But see your doctor right away.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Post-Operative Asymmetry

+1

There are several explanations for what you're experiencing, but the first thing you should do is call your surgeon and discuss this situation. There's no cause for panic, but generally the earlier an potential 'abnormality' is discovered and addressed, the easier it is to treat. Your surgeon knows what your breasts were like prior to surgery and whether the current size difference is related to any pre-existing physical differences or something that may be directly related to surgery. Good luck!!

Steve Byrd, MD

Asymmetry

+1

It depends on what asymmetry you began with and if this is a new development. It sounds noticeable enough and unusual enough to consult with your surgeon. It might be a fluid collection within the capsule of the breast.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD