Right Breast Pain and Hardness a Year After Augmentation?

My right breast is hard and it hurts,one year after breast augmentation surgery. It feels like when I first had them done. It's hard to get up and or lay down. My left one is fine. Any inputs? Please help, I'm really hurting so bad and my doctor is out of town until the end of next month.

Firm hard breast one year after augmentation

+1

IF your breast is hard and firm one year after augmentation.  I would be concerned about a possible capsular contracture. See your plastic surgeon for options.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Breast Pain and Hardness One Year After Surgery

+1

Breast hardness and pain after augmentation is usually the result of a capsular contracture. This occurs when the usaully thin layer of scar tissue surrounding the implant becomes thickened and begins to squeeze the implant tightly. Depending on the degree of thickening, the breast can become both firm and painful.

If this process occurred gradually over the past year then it likely represents a Grade 4 capsualr contracture (which is the most advanced Grade of capsular contracture) and can be treated with a surgery to remove the scar tissue surrounding the implant. If this process occurred suddenly or is the result of a recent trauma then you may have bleeding within the implant pocket and this should be addressed immediately. If this is the case, surgery to remove the blood may be necessary.

Whatever the case, you should contact your surgeon's office immediately and arrange to be assessed by the qualified doctor whom your surgeon has chosen to cover his/her practice.

Web reference: http://www.drlouisdeluca.com/

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Two possible explanations for breast pain and hardness

+1

If this pain came on slowly, you may be experiencing capsular contracture. This can cause hardness and pain.

If the problem came on more suddenly or if you have had trauma to your breast, you may have a hematoma (collection of blood) around the implant.

In either case, I would call your surgeon right away. Even if your original surgeon is away, I'm sure he has a qualified person covering for him.

Good luck.

Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.