Revision for Ruptured Breast Implants That Leaked into Lymph Nodes?

I had breast implants done 11 years ago. I just found out that one implant has ruptured and leaked into my lymph nodes. I'm waiting to hear from the hospital about the removal, but I want them re-done because my breasts were awful due to pregnancy. How long do I have to wait to get revision, after the ruptured implants are removed from my lymph nodes?

Implant exchange

+1

If one of your implants has ruptured, my preference is to remove the old one and replace it with a new one in the same setting.

Removing ruptured implants and replacing them at the same time

+1

What you are describing should be done in one surgery to save you an unnecessary extra anesthetic. Removing the implant material, capsules, and as much extravasated get as would be safe sould be immediately followed by implant replacement in a case where you want another implant. Some patients don't want new ones.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Removal and replacement of breast implants can be performed simultaneously

+1

If a plastic surgeon is performing the procedure of removal, replacement can be performed simultaneoously . If, however, it is a general surgeon, you may want to inquire if a plastic surgeon can be available at the surgery. Obviously, you would want to prepare this prior to surgery and schedule a consultation.

Revision for leaking gel implants, with lymph node involvement

+1

Dear Judrop:

Now that you have that diagnosis, you should consult an experienced plastic surgeon, who will discuss your options, based on the tests you have had, your medical and breast history, and examination.

The surgeon will probably recommend removal of both old gel implants and the surrounding capsule that your body forms. New implants are often done at the same procedure. You should not need to wait between the two procedures. You will need to consider whether you want gel or saline-filled implants for your revision. Saline leakage would be obvious because your body absorbs the fluid within hours, and replacement is a simple procedure. The FDA recommends periodic MRI studies to detect leakage from a gel implant, hopefully before a patient develops spread to lymph nodes.

Most gel or saline implants last significantly longer than 11 years.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon