Breast Augmentation Redo for a Distance Runner?

I currently have breast implants (which I got 9 1/2 years ago), but would like to get them re-done because I have some scar tissue that makes one breast look different from the other. I am a distance runner and there is a marathon I would like to do, 20 weeks after surgery. Would this be okay?

4-5 months is generally adequate time for breast implant revision recovery

+2

Generally, this should be a reasonable time but full recovery. Rare complications could occur which would delay the healing or prolong recover bu this would be very unusual. The recovery will depend on the procedures performed and vary with each unique situation which is not readily discernible from your description. For example if you have ruptured silicone implants above the muscle with capsular contracture, you may benefit from a capsulectomy with implant (material) removal and replacement and possible transition to a submuscular pocket. This would be very different from a straighforward implant exchange with simple capsulorrhaphy/capsulotomy.

Marathon after breast augmentation

+2

Dear Tampa girl,

A lot will depend on how long you need to train for a marathon. I don't let my patients do high impact for 4 weeks, so I would think that if you could be ready with 15 weeks of training, you should be able to go ahead with the surgery.

You could also run your marathon and then have the surgery so you could have ample time to relax and recuperate after your surgery. That choice is between you and your doctor.

Good Luck in your marathon.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Running after Breast Implant Revision

+1
Thank you for your question.  I am an avid runner and see many patients in my practice who are long distance runners.  I generally do not recommend that these patients go very large in terms of volume. Normally 275-325 ccs.  Your recovery will be depend on the amount of scar tissue which needs to be removed.  Barring any complications, you should be able to run the marathon after 20 weeks.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

A marathon twenty weeks after bresat revisoin surgery should be ok

+1

Healing and recovery after breast revision surgery

The length of time which you will need for recovery after your breast revision surgery depends on a number of factors including how extensive the surgery is going to be.  For example,  a simple removal of saline implants and replacement with silicone implants may be a simple one week recovery,  while extensive capsule work may necessitate no lifting for six weeks.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Activity concern after Breast Augmentation Redo

+1

Firmness or "scar tissue" that changes the appearance of a breast is often the result of a capsular contracture. This can range in severity from undetectable to quite obvious and painful. The normal treatment for this is the complete or partial removal of the capsule. This can weaken the support of the implant withing the breast and increase the possibility of "bottoming out", where the implant drops too low, below the existing breast crease.

Thus, returning to high impact activities such as running too soon could lead to increased downward forces of the breast fold and a higher possibility of this occuring later. 20 weeks should be enough time to return to running, but the real question is, when will you return to your training? If you can wait, then I would encourage you to. However, if you are a regular runner, then there may never be a "perfect" time.

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Redo breast augmentation can help you

+1

You need to ask your surgeon if s/he will allow you to run. The more time you allow from surgery to a marathon, the better you will be. Your surgeon may restrict your training time after surgery, which could result in your inability to run the race. Long-term, you should be able to return to full activities.

Mark P. Solomon, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision

+1

Sounds like you may have capsular contracture, which is the term for hard scar tissue around the implants which can sometimes distort their shape or position. Downsizing to a smaller implant may be an option for you considering your active lifestyle as a distance runner. You should be recovered five months after your surgery to compete in your marathon without any problems.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area prior to scheduling your breast implant revision surgery.

William Bruno, MD

Running after breast augmentation redo

+1

This would depend upon how much work you need and how you heal. You would probably need to see your surgeon before the event and get the OK to attend. You could also plan your surgery after the event as well.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon