Taking Supplements to Prevent Capsular Contraction

I am about to have a bottomed out revision with PDS sutures. However, I am also concerned about developing a capsular contracture. I plan to take supplements such as Scar Multiplex Formula to help dissolve excess scar tissues and lessen adhesions.

The concern is, since we are expecting scar tissues to build around the sutures while healing, will taking other supplements to supposingly soften the scar and get rid of excess scar tissues counteract the bottomed out revision healing proces? More specifically, will the bottomed out revision not work if I take supplements to prevent capsular contracture?

No supplements for capsular contracture prevention

+2

There are no supplements that have any proven effect for the prevention of capsular contracture. I would not recommend taking anything that touts that benefit. These are not regulated products and the side effects are not well known. So why take something that might be risky with no proven benefit? The bottomed out repair will be a success with a good operation and a compliant patient! Save your money on the scar formula!

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture is less likely with bottomed out implants

+2

I worry less about capsular contracture in patients who have bottomed out implants. This is because the bottoming out indicates to me that your tissues have stretched and relaxed allowing the implant to drop. This does not happen in people who are prone to forming breast capsules.

The repair should work and I have not see capsules form in patients I have done this type of correction on.

Many factors cause capsular contracture. In my opinion the most important are bleeding during surgery, poor technique, and failing to do implant displacement exercises or massage after surgery.

Massage is the most important thing you can do after surgery to lessen capsular contracture.

Ibuprofen has smooth muscle relaxant properties and is believed by many to lessen contraction post op. Vitamen E has also been recommended. Both of these supplements are recommended anecdotally and have not been proven in controlled studies to prevent capsules.

Discuss taking these meds with your surgeon before you take them.

Good surgical technique and post operative massage are your best options.

See before and after pictures of breast augmentation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast capsule capsulectomy saline implants silicone implants insurance coverage supplements breast capsule contracture

+1

There is no significant, conclusive medical evidence which shows that oral supplements decrease or counteract scarring and especially, breast capsule contracture. The oral supplements should not decrease healing. The most important part of your surgery is reestablishing or re-creating your inframammary fold. This is accomplished with sutures, specifically PDS sutures. PDS sutures are not permanent and will dissolve with time. They are ideal sutures to use in the recreation of the inframammary fold. The second most important part of your surgery is removal of your breast capsule. This is called a capsulectomy. This entails removal of the scar tissue around your breast implant. Some patients are more prone to breast capsules than others. Other factors, which can increase your chances of forming a breast capsule include type of implants (silicone or Saline), size of implant, and position of implant. You should seek out several consultations from board-certified plastic surgeons. Often, breast capsulectomy and removal of breast implants are covered by your medical insurance. Please have your plastic surgeon inquire regarding insurance coverage of your capsulectomy. Good luck. Sincerely, Dr.Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Bottoming out and supplements

+1

First, I use PDS sutures all the time for capsule work.  I think that the PDS lasts long enough for adequate scar tissue to develop for the pocket ot maintain its shape. Second, I am not a fan of supplements. The companies do not usually list everything that is in their product. 

No evidence that supplement for capsular contracture works

+1

There is no good evidence that most of these supplements really do anything helpful, but let your surgeon know before you take anything. Some of them can cause problems. 

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon