Reposition Breast Implants for Cleavage and Upper Fullness?

Can my breast implants be moved from their current location to closer to the middle of my breasts to create more cleavage and upper fullness? Should there have been such a drastic change in size and appearance after this second surgery? Is it just my anatomy and I should just accept them how they are? How do I talk to my surgeon about fixing this when she does not see it as a problem?

Be honest with your doctor and discuss your options

+2

It sounds as though you are going to need bigger, wider, and higher profile implants than the ones you have to get the result that you want.  Discuss your options and costs with your doctor.

Repositioning implants possible, but result would vary a ton

+1

Sometimes the vision that a woman has for her cosmetic breast surgery is achievable only in part. Most often this is due to her anatomy. You seem to have had a fair amount of sag to your breasts and have had lift surgery with implants. In these cases some degree of sag afterward is inevitable. It is only a matter of how much and how long it takes to stabilize. Upper pole fullness can be fleeting.

Significant changes from your current outcome are possible but do run the risk of making things worse. I would be tempted to give things a chance to settle (6 months at least) and then re-evaluate. You look good. The real question is how much better can be achieved and at what risk.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

See another surgeon

+1

Implants are normally placed such that the center of the implant is directly behind the nipple/areola. If your breast are naturally wide apart some elevation of the tissues can bring them together but this is a dangers procedure as you are going outside of the normal breast boundaries. In addition an implant perhaps larger or of a different projection could help.

Finally, most of the time cleavage is created by the bra that is worn. Get the correct bra that moves the breasts in and up and there you go. Not everyone can have cleavage naturally or even with enhancement.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Impossible to answer without examining you

+1

It is impossible to answer your question without an examination and review of your past treatment. However, if your surgeon is discouraging you from another operation, I would listen to her.

Depending on your particular anatomy, you probably can achieve more cleavage with a bra, than you will with further surgery. Placing the implants too close to the middle of your chest may risk rotating the nipples off the center of the mound which would leave them pointing sideways.

You should feel comfortable discussing your concerns with your surgeon and simply state what you are trying to achieve. Then sit back and listen to her response--and respect her opinion.

No one wants you to be 100% happy more than your surgeon, but if it is not possible to achieve what you want based on your anatomy etc., then your surgeon will point that out to you.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Revision surgeries have more risk

+1

Of course it is difficult to answer your question accurately without a full exam or at least photos. However, in general any revision suregery will have more risks and should be undertaken only if there is a significant problem. If you and your surgeon are not on the same page regarding the outcome of your surgery, then review your before and after photos and determine in a realistic way what improvements can be achieved with a revision. There are always trade-offs and would you be willing to take them. For example - having very close cleavage could result in implant visibility. So discuss all these issues with your surgeon. Good luck and remember focus on improvement rather than perfection.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Risks of achieveing greater implant cleavage

+1

Although this may seem intuitively easy, the operation really depends on your anatomy.

The implants can clearly be brought in more closer to the middle as well as positioned higher but if you do not have optimal anatomy, some undesireable otucomes will occur.

For example:

1. If you have alot of breast tissue, it will hang off the high and inward implants creating the potential of a "snoopy breast" or double bubble type appearance
  2. If your nipples are widely spaced, they will to the outside of the implants giving you nipples that look at opposite walls intead of straight ahead
  3. If you chest has a slight pectus carinatum confiuguration, you will be at higher risk for a relapse with your breasts implants falling to the lower and outer portions of your breast.
  4. If your implants are above the muscle or the muscle is released to achieve greater cleavage, you risk the potential of developing synmastia also known as "uniboob"

As you can see, it is not quite as simple as it might initially seem.

Discuss your goals with your surgeon and ask about the consequences of attempting to achieve your desired look.

Difficult to advise without seeing you

+1

Every woman's breasts are different in their own way so it is hard to comment without having seen you before and seeing you now. Your breasts may be more naturally positioned to the sides or lower, you may have needed a breast lift because your tissues were lax, etc. Write your questions down so on your next visit with your plastic surgeon you can verbalize your concerns and together you can hopefully come up with a plan to get you closer to where you want to be. Take care

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Multiple issues will need to be discussed with your surgeon

+1

This conversation is a bit involved, so you need to really talk to your surgeon about your goals and the options you have. It's hard to comment without photos and a one-on-one discussion with you about your goals, but your surgeon knows you best and will be the best person to lay your options out for you.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Changing pocket dimensions

+1

Changing your pocket dimensions will change the location of your implant in relation to your chest wall. This could be done within limits. Check with your plastic surgeon regarding this option. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS