Is It Safe to Have Implants Removed While Awake?

I had my implants 4 years ago, under the muscle. I went from an A cup to a B cup. But I never really wanted them in the first place. I want them removed my plastic surgeon who place them says that he can remove it with local anesthesia (lidocaine) in the medical office. I will be wide awake. Is that safe, will I feel the pain?

Intact Breast Implants Can Be Safely Removed Under Local Anesthesia

+2

Thank you for your question. If your implants are intact or are deflated saline implants it is easy to remove them under local anesthesia.

Ruptured Silicone Gel Implants are difficult to remove and should be done under General Anesthesia.

Breast And plant Removal under Local Anesthesia?

+1

Removal of breast implants  under local anesthesia  should not be a problem (assuming appropriate patient selection).

Removing breast implants under local anesthesia

+1

As long as you are adequately anesthesthetized, you should be okay.  However, if you're really anxious I would recommend twilight sedation for more comfort.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Breast implants can be safe to remove under local

+1

If implants are not leaking in the case of a gel implant, or in any case with a saline implant, removal is safe and comfortable for most in an office setting, under local anesthesia. If you truly put them in for someone else, you will feel better without them.

peterejohnsonmd

Implant removal under local

+1

Probably not my method of choice but it can be done under local anesthesia.  I might would add some valium or a relaxant of some sort!

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Removal of Implants under local

+1

This certainly can be done if only removal is required.  If internal work on the capsule may be required then local anesthesia would be inadequate.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1

If the implants are to be removed only, then it is reasonable to consider a locat anesthetic. If other procedures are necessary such as a lift or capsulectomy then another option should be discussed.

Removing Breast Implants while awake

+1

Simple removal of breast implants in a sub muscular or sub glandular position can be safely accomplished with only a local anesthetic. You may be more comfortable with some oral sedation. 

However, if there is additional work to be done such as capsulectomy or breast lift, you will likely need a little more that local anesthesia to be comfortable.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Removing Implants Under Local

+1

Yes it can be done and when you consider the savings of having it done this way, the yes becomes even BIGGER.

It is simplest if you have relatively little breast tissue and a soft capsule.  By doing it in the office under local anesthesia (you are completely awake and alert and will be able to drive yourself home) you save yourself the facility fee and any anesthesia fees.  In addition, my own fee is much less when done this way. 

You have probably had your procedure done already and I hope it went well for you.  But the answer to your questions is YES.

Curtis Wong, MD

Can I have my implants removed under local anesthesia?

+1

The simple answer is yes but the more complicated answer is, it depends.  Simply removing your implants is straightforward but many of us will also irritate (or remove) the capsule surrounding the implant so that your long-term result is more natural from the both standpoint of look and feel.

I would suggest having it done under some type of anesthesia so that you can get the best result possible.  Short cuts don't often yield the most optimal results in the long run.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon