Look Normal After Breast Implant Removal?

Can I look normal after removing large breast implants and how much is the cost? I had breast augmentation in 2005 and the 450cc implants were place over the muscle so now I have lots of sagging. I want them removed but one doctor said this would be very difficult and he hadn't done one this bad but 2 or 3 times. Now I'm scared that I will never look normal. I need some advice and what kind of price I would be looking at? Thanks!

You can have a normal natural look after removing breast implants

+4

Explantation or removal of breast implants often leaves stretched out tissues. Traditionally, a breast lift or mastopexy is done to reshape the breast and take out extra skin. How much surgery is needed is very individual and depends on the size of the implants, the shape of your body, the condition of your skin.

I have found that some women do remarkably well with implant removal without an immediate lift procedure. A patient encouraged me to do just this as she wanted the least surgery possible. Remarkably, although the breasts looked extremely unattractive initially postoperatively, within 2 weeks, the skin had contracted and the breasts looked fine.

I now explain to patients that we can take out the implants and do an immediate lift, or we can take out the implants and wait and see what happens. If the skin does not tighten enough over time, a lift can be done as a secondary procedure. With this approach, even if a second procedure is needed, the skin removal will be smaller and the incisions shorter than if the lift were done at the time of implant removal. And so far, I have not had to do a secondary procedure. Everything has come back to shape when the pressure of the implants has been removed.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal and sagging (ptosis)

+3

We know that a traditional breast reductionwill result in some correction of the sagging. In many instances, I have removed implants and allowed time the breast to shrink down to a stable size and shape (typically 6 months). At this point I have often found that the breast lift I performis less agressive than one I would have performed at the same time as implant removal. Patients are sometimes surprised and satisfied with the appearance of the breast without pursuing any additional surgery.

An experienced plastic surgeon can provide you with advice and guidance.

Appearance after breast implant removal a tough problem

+2

A 450cc implant is not necessarily large. It really depends on the size of the patient and the amount of skin their breasts have. I agree with others that it sounds like you may have had significant sagging before your first surgery-hence the larger implant and positioning on top of the muscle. Old school thinking was that the placement above the muscle helped lift the breast more than under the muscle. More recent thinking is that when properly performed, sub muscular placement will give about as good a lift. Women with sagging breasts have skin that tends to stretch too easily and trying to correct this with larger implants on top of the muscle tends to what is called the "rock in the sock" appearance sometime down the road.

Combining implant surgery and breast lifting has always been one of the most challenging procedures for plastic surgeons. I tell my patients that while I shoot for a single operation correction they need to plan mentally and financially for at least two operations. Next, they need to decide whether they want to change their implant size or simply get rid of the implant all together.  

I refuse to do any sort of breast lift in a patient who is actively smoking and I stage the implant surgery and lift surgery in all patients with a significant smoking history. These people are high risk for wound breakdown, implant infection and nipple slough. I am also very cautious in re operations on patients in whom I did not do the first operation. In these patients I never know what the first surgeon did that may compromise my operation and I've found the operative reports of other surgeons to be unreliable. There is no substitute for having been there the first time.

It is possible to correct the situation described above but not without risk and possibly additional scarring. Do your homework first and prepare yourself for additional scars, substantial expense over what your original surgery cost and the need for revisionary work.

Barry Stuart Handler, MD

Breasts change with implants so not the same after removal

+2

Large implants above the muscle can be particularly problematic in terms of the way they affect the breasts. The weight of the implants without any support other than the skin leads to stretching and so when the implants are removed the look can be quite a bit different. It is usually a better idea to replace with smaller implants and go under the muscle, and perhaps a breast lift to deal with the extra skin.

Richard Baxter, MD

You can look normal after removal of breast implants

+2

Most who elect breast augmentation will wear implants throughout their lives, and if done for the right reasons most could not imagine being without breast implants. There are a very few who have beast augmentation and wish to go back to what they once were. A prime cause is having breast implants for someone other than yourself. Once you have decided that the implants are not you it is possible that the skin envelop has been stretched, or the breast tissue thinned over the surface of the implant.

A breast lift or mastopexy at the time of implant removal may be a good solution to the loose skin or low nipple position. I have learned however that it often pays to remove the implants and be patient and allow the skin to recover and the breast to 'shape' itself without the influence of the implant. This will often eliminate the need for a breast lift and additional scars. The simple removal of breast implants is not difficult, and need not be expensive.

Best of luck.

Removing breast implants and having a lift

+2

Removing breast implants in an already droopy breast will give a very saggy deflated breast unless a lift is performed. It is the very rare patient who would be happy with the appearance.

If the previous implants were in the over the muscle position, circilation to the nipple will unfortunately be lower and the lift more risky.

However an experiened surgeon can perform a safe but effective surgery without undue risk to the nipple. Remember, the more aggressive the lift, the more the nipple circulation will be compromised.

I agree that trying to fix droopiness with an over the muscle is not an ideal move.

Brent Moelleken, MD

You can remove your implants

+2

I have done a lot of implant removal. The best thing is to deflate your implants (this can be done in office) if they are saline and then let your tissue to contract for a least 2-3 weeks before implant removal. Most breast go back to before surgery shape. If patient is not happy with the shape and size, you can have fat injection or another implant.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Surgery Designed for an Experienced Surgeon

+1

While it is a tricky surgery and you should do with an experienced surgeon, it is possible to address the sagginess with a breast lift.  You may want to also consider a smaller implant under muscle as well.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Implant removal - lift or replacement or nothing?

+1

most of the time, with breast implant removal, the implants are replaced.   that being said, some patients do not feel the need for the added volume but instead are more interested in improving the shape.  those patients would benefit from a lift.  finally, there are those who want the implants completely removed without replacing them.  honestly, 450cc implants are pretty big, and without retailoring the skin (with a lift) there will be a large amount of sag. 

Eric Chang, MD

They will not look normal if you just have the implants removed

+1

After removing large implants that have been there for years, you will experience severe sagging and most surgeons will recommend a lift at the same time.

I personally refuse to remove large implants without a lift unless the patient does not have much sagging and has enough breast tissue left which is rare and you already have a lot of sagging as you described.

you can also try a smaller implant below the muscle along with the lift because a lift alone rarely provides much upper pole fullness.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS