Breast Implants Removal Under Local Anesthesia - Is It Safe? Any Pain?

I was told by my surgeon that he could remove my silicone implants under straight local. Is this procedures safe, will there be any pain,Recovery, and how long is the procedure? I had silicone 450cc breast implants placed 10 days ago, against my wishes cause I wanted a B. I was a fuller C cup and wanted to reduce my size, but ended up to a DD (against my wishes). I'm a very active person and have hated them ever since.

Implant removal under local

Thank you for your question.  Removing an implant under straight local anesthesia can be done for the right patient.  If you are very anxious by nature, then you may require some form of sedation (oral, IV or general). In addition, if there is any complicating factor (e.g. trauma or implant rupture), then I would recommend sedation as there may be something unexpected that is harder to deal with under straight local.

Local Anesthesia Is An Option

Patient’s occasionally require removal of their breast implants for a variety of reasons.When this situation arises, the procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia.It’s important to realize that under the appropriate circumstances, explantation can easily be performed under local anesthesia.In most cases, local anesthesia is supplemented with IV sedation.

Local anesthesia is an excellent option in patient’s who are anxious about general anesthesia or whose health prohibits the use of general anesthesia.Under these circumstances, the area beneath the inframammary fold is numbed and a small incision is made to remove the breast implants.

Breast implants can easily be removed under local anesthesia, but when extensive capsular work is anticipated, general anesthesia is still the best option.

If you’re considering removal of implants under local anesthesia, it’s important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan.

Breast Implant removal under local anesthesia

Yes, Breast implants can be removed with local anesthesia. The recovery time would be much quicker and easier than your original surgery

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Can Breast Implants be Removed under Local Anesthesia ?

Yes, breast implants can be removed under local anesthesia 10 days after breast augmentation surgery.  The wound will not be strong and, therefore, the breast implant removal should be relatively easy.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Breast Implant Removal under Local Anesthesia?

If all that is being done is removal of the implants ( no capsule work)  then they may be safely and comfortably removed under local anesthesia for  a relatively calm patient. I generally individualize the type of anesthesia to be used based on the specific patient's  personality and  situation.

Removing breast implants

As long as you get adequate local anesthesia, you should be fine.  However, if you're really anxious I would recommend twilight sedation for more comfort.  Just make sure you really want them removed and not replaced before making this decision.

Breast implant removal (explantation) under local anesthesia

Your story is as confusing to me as it is to the other physicians but the short answer to your question is: YES, you can undergo simple implant removal under local anesthesia quite easily.  

Breast Reduction or Breast Augmentation?

You may have to resubmit your question because it's not clear why you had implants if you wanted to be smaller.  

But to answer your direct question of whether or not your implants can be removed with just local anesthetic, the answer is yes.  However, it depends in part on your general pain tolerance. Sometimes an oral anxiolytic such as valium in addition to local anesthetic will make the procedure more tolerable. 

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Breast implant removal

There is a disconnect here.

You wanted a breast reduction and against your will had a breast augmentation????????????????????????

That is a problem

Who forced you to have an augment??

Slow down decide what you want and have a lengthy consult with your plastic surgeon.

Implant removal and any surgery is not without risks and complications

Your question , 10 days after augment can one remove the implants under local anesthesia, Answer yes it is doable, BUT can you tolerate it? or are you the type to freakout at the site of the operating room?

Implant Removal Under Local Possible

I agree with Dr. Aldea that your story is very confusing, since you wanted to be smaller, but ended up with implants.  How this happens is unknown, since both you and the surgeon should have been on the same page prior to surgery, and I assume that you signed a consent form stating that you were getting implants, not a breast reduction.   Whatever the reason, it should be easy to remove the implants under local if they have only been in ten days.  It will feel a little odd when they come out, but should not be particulalrly painful at all.  I hope this helps.