Breast Implant Removal for Someone with Scleroderma and Pulmonary Fibrosis?

I have to have my breast implants (operation was in Sept 1990) removed due to rupture, however, I am now suffering from scleroderma and pulmonary fibrosis. Will I be able to undergo general anesthesia for this operation, or can it be done under a local anaestetic?

You will likely need Medical Clearance before surgery.

+1

You might be able to have your surgery under less than a general anesthetic, but "local only" might be a bit too light. You will probably need to be sent to a internal medicine doctor before surgery to obtain an evaluation of what kind of anesthesia would be acceptable from the standpoint of your lung function.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Depends on the surgery needed, but you may need PFTs prior to general anesthesia

+1

If you are having simple removal of saline implants, some consider capsulectomy optional. This procedure could be performed under local anesthesia,.

If however, you need a capsulectomy, especially if submuscular, you may benefit from general anesthesia.

Your elegibility for general anesthesia will be based upon your pulmonary function testing (PFT). This will most likely be requested by the anesthesiologist and performed under the guidance of your pulmonologist. Interpretation of these results will likely determine your ability to tolerate general anesthesia