Breast Implants Removal at Old Age?

I've been think of getting breast implants. I understand its short term risks and safety, but I can't find a clear and direct answer on its long term risks. Is the removal surgery a big trauma for an average health 70-year-old women. What's maxima age a doctor will perform the removal of saline implants? I need to know if I'll be able to sustain the removal at old age, once I have the implants. Thanks.

Removal

+2

The removal of beast implants is a relatively easy and straight forward procedure. As long as you are in good medical condition age is not a factor.

Breast Implants Removal at Old Age?

+1

Taking out saline implants is quite the minor procedure, sometimes even done in the office under local anesthesia. Hopefully if you decide to proceed with breast enlargement surgery you will not find any reason to have them removed down the line!

The long terms risks are pretty much like the short term risks. Deflation is the one risk that may increase in time, the others all diminish.

Thanks and best wishes.

Implant removal can be done under local anesthesia very easily

+1

Thank you for the question.  All breast implants have a lifetime warranty against defects, etc.  Should you choose to get them removed during your advanced years you can take comfort in that they can be removed very easily under local anesthesia in the doctors office.  Unless they are old silicone implants that are ruptured or severely encapsulated removal of implants is quite straight forward.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Removing breast implants related to age

+1

You are wise to consider both short term and long term issues with breast implants. 

In general, there are no specific long term risks known to breast implants and they are placed with the expectation that they can last a lifetime contrary to the misinformation about replacing them at 10 years. There is no age limit for putting them in or for removing them. However implants are a discreet object that can be removed with relative ease, particularly if they are saline-filled breast implants. A simple removal can be accomplished under local anesthesia through an inframammary crease incision. Silicone gel-filled implants have some other issues to consider but can be removed under minimal anesthetic conditions. 

If you are concerned about these long term issues I would strongly recommend an inframammary crease approach and a saline-filled implant. It will be much easier to replace or remove the implants. Currently it would be much tougher to remove a tattoo on your breast than an implant. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+1

Breast implant removal is always something to consider and/or discuss with your surgeon when thinking about getting breast augmentation. Removal of an implant at an older age can certainly be done safely and easily. Age by itself does not prevent you from having surgery. Overall health is most important. Sometimes saline implants can be deflated and removed under local anaesthetic as well. Every situation is different and you should discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Removal of Breast Implants at Older Age?

+1

It is commendable that you are considering both the short-term and long-term issues associated with breast augmentation surgery. As far as breast implant removal at a older age, every patient's situation is individualized.  Chronological age in itself is not a contraindication to breast surgery; however, significant medical issues may preclude a patient, regardless of her age, from having elective surgery. In other words, there is no “maximum age” to have breast implants removed;  whether or not surgery is indicated in a individual patient's  case needs to be evaluated based on assessment of medical conditions as well as risk/benefit calculations.

Breast implant removal

+1

Breast implant removal can certainly be performed at your age.  It is difficult to predict how your breasts will respond to the surgery.