Could Breast Implants Look Remotely Natural on My Lean Body? (photo)

I have always had very small breasts (except when I was breastfeeding) and very little upper body fat. What little fat I do have is in my lower body so I always wear a padded bra to create a more proportioned look. Since I would like to wear cocktail dresses without a bra and feel more confident in swim suits, etc I am interested in small implants (maybe a B). One concern I have is that an implant would be very unnatural looking since there is very little fat layer to conceal it.

Natural looking breast implants for thin women

+2
The actual size of a breast implant, measured in cc's, is really not very descriptive of what a breast augmentation will look like, or what the cup size will be. It is all relative to the size of the breast and the size of the patient preoperatively. A tall, broad-shouldered patient with small A-cup breasts may require 450cc implants to achieve a C-cup breast volume postoperatively, while a shorter patient with medium B-cup breasts may only need a 250cc implant to achieve a C-cup breast volume.
If a natural appearance is the goal, then the way to get the size right is to 'try out' different implant volumes and profiles in the operating room. Once the implant pockets have been created, sterile sizers can be placed in the implant pockets, and the upper half of the O.R. table raised so that the resulting breast appearance can be assessed with the patient in an upright 'sitting' position (chest fully upright) while under anesthesia. These sizers are available not only for each implant size but also for each implant profile: low, moderate and high (in this practice we use high-profile implants only in rare instances). Inflatable sizers are used for saline implant augmentations, and pre-filled gel sizers are used for gel implant augmentations.
For any patient there is obviously a range of implant volumes that would be considered natural-appearing, and a volume at which the upper pole of the breast begins to look very unnatural. While one patient may seek an augmentation that is 'perfectly natural', another may be interested in a result that is more on 'the full side of natural', and many patients do ask that the largest implant volume be selected that does not produce an unnatural fullness in the upper pole. By using breast implant sizers intra-operatively to determine exactly what breast implant profile and volume produces the best breast appearance in the O.R., patients can be provided with the closest possible approximation of their preoperative goals, and can be assured of a natural-appearing result.
I regularly perform breast augmentation surgery for patients who participate in body building, fitness and figure competitions. While many are initially concerned about sub-pectoral placement and the potential for distortion of the appearance of augmented breasts when the pec major contracts, I am absolutely confident that the aesthetic outcome for these patients will be far superior with implants placed under the muscle.
A pre-pectoral implant in a slender patient, especially one with well-developed muscles, looks just as you imagine it would: like a foreign object, not like a natural-appearing breast. The muscle does not have to contract for a pre-pectoral implant to look unnatural in this group of patients - it looks unnatural every minute of the day.
Achieving the ideal aesthetic position for a sub-pectoral implant requires release of part of the inferior origin of the muscle from the chest wall. I perform the minimal release of the origin of the pec major that is required to get the implant in an ideal position vertically, but also weaken the origin in the area where muscle contraction tends to displace an implant. As a result the vast majority of patients have little to no distortion of their breast appearance when the pec major muscles are tensed. Patients also do not experience any loss of function, strength or range of motion from release of this very limited part of the pec major origin. Many patients have indicated that their natural (but augmented) breast appearance has provided a significant advantage for them in competitions.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Natural appearance with breast implants for thin patients

+2

Hi there-

As long as proper attention is paid to the details necessary to achieve your particular goals, I do think that you should be able to achieve a pleasing and natural appearance. Please know that regardless of your goals or your anatomy, who you choose to do your surgery is going to be much more important to your safety and happiness than the details of how its done.

Spend most of your time and energy finding the right surgeon based on their education, training, experience, talent, and outcomes, then visit for a consultation. They'll help you fill in the blanks regarding the details of the procedure most likely to make you happy.

Armando Soto, MD

Natural look with breast augmentation

+2

The answer is yes if you have small silicone implants placed properly in a dual plane approach you should be able to obtain a natural look. Make sure you are seen by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and ask to see previous pictures of surgery he performed.

Best of luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Natural look is achievable in a lean figure

+2

Yes, you can achieve a natural look given your lean figure especially since you are open to a conservative breast augmentation.  After a formal physical examination, I would probably recommend a dual plane augmentation with silicone gel implants.   Please visit with a board certified ASPS member surgeon in your area to learn more about your options.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Natural look with little breast tissue

+2

I believe you can get a natural look with small gel-filled implants in the submuscular position.  If your goal is truly a B cup, you will look good and be happy with this.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants for thin women

+2

You will get a very nice result from silicone gel implants placed in a dual plane position.  Just be careful not to go with an implant that is too large.  Additionally, if you have some extra fat stores on your lower body, it is possible to transfer some of this fat to your breasts to increase soft tissue coverage of the implants.  Good luck! 

Mark E. Mason, MD

Small breasts and a natural augmentation.

+2

It is certainly possible for you to have a breast augmentation with a natural appearance. The keys to choosing implants that appear natural are to keep the implant size and shape within the parameters of your natural breast. Smaller, lower profile implants serve to simply push the breast tissue forward. Submuscular placement of the implants allow for more camouflage in the upper poles and a gentle transition from the upper chest wall to the breast. In all women with small breasts, the implants may be palpable in the lower pole or even laterally, but this can be attenuated by the use of silicone implants. I suggest scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, preferrably one with sizing devices to give you a good understanding of what would work for you.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Great candidate for breast augmentation

+2

As long as the proper implant is chosen and the implant is placed in the submuscular position I would consider you an excellent candidate to achieve a very natural result.

You have conservative goals, which will make the result more natural.  I would recommend smooth, silicone implants in the range of 225 - 300 cc.

If you have anyone in your area who offers 3D breast imaging, this is a very valuable tool for patients to "see" their expected result with any implant size.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Can breast implants appear natural on me? (photo)

+2

You can have a great result.  My personal choice for patients such as yourself, if you want the most natural result, is to select textured silicone gel prostheses well matched to the base width of your breasts, in the submuscular (dual plane) position.  Still, because you are so lean, after all swelling resolves, you may have a bit of palpable, or even visible rippling laterally, in certain positions.  This will not detract from your result significantly.  Moderate profile recommended, in my opinion.

Steve Laverson, MD

Yes, of course with the right size implant, performed properly they will look great.

+2

Yes, the right implant and placement will look great.    You will likely need the implant placed under the muscle since you are thin and your breast tissue has undergone some laxity from pregnancy.  I would recommend getting silicone implants, likely a mod profile plus/style 15 that matched your breast width diameter.  I have attached a photo of a comparable patient of mine that went subfascial but she had better breast tissue structure since she had not had any children.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD