I'm planning to travel to get my Breast Implants. How long does it take to recover? Can I travel back home right after?

So I'm thinking on getting breast implants but I would be traveling five hours away to do so my questions are how long is surgery? When do I have to go back? & can I travel back home right after? I will not be the one driving though...

Ok to travel

+2
Thanks for your question. I do think is reasonable to travel to a surgeon if you feel like the results are that much better. I would not however recommend returning home the same day. Postoperative bleeding is not common however if it does occur it is usually within the first 24 hours.Best of Luck

Travel

+2
Dear MVP8,
    I don't think it is unreasonable at all to travel 5 hours in order to undergo breast augmentation.  Apparently, you have found a surgeon whose results you like.  This may have come from a friend's referral or other forms of due diligence. Not all plastic surgeons achieve the same results.  There are many details in the surgical technique that affect the outcome. There may have also been an economic incentive.  Prices can vary greatly between states.
    Surgical time is usually short and should not exceed more than one hour. I suggest you stay over at least one night so that the surgeon can examine you the next morning.  The surgeon's office can follow up with you virtually.  On your drive back, I suggest you stop at a rest stop approximately every hour to stretch your legs.  Remaining immobile after surgery for a  prolonged  period should be avoided.
Good luck,
Ary Krau

Ary Krau, MD, FACS

Out of town breast augmentation

+1
The most important thing you can do to help your recovery is to follow your surgeon's pre and post operative care instructions. These instructions have been designed to facilitate the entire surgical experience, from the very beginning, before you even step into the operating room.  The amount of time you need to recover really depends on your body, and it's quite difficult to determine if the amount of time suggested for you is adequate. You can look at how you recovered from other surgeries you've had in the past - did you need a lot of time or were you back to daily activities sooner than later? Generally, if you're healthy and follow your surgeon's care instructions, you should be okay in the time period suggested by your surgeon.  For recovery, you should expect to stay for two or three days in the city where you're having your surgery (or longer if you experience complications). 

I recommend traveling with one or two people who you can trust and can help you during your stay. That way, you'll be more comfortable dealing with the recovery period. If you're traveling alone, you may be able to hire a nurse in that city to help you out instead. When traveling home, you'll still be in a delicate state. Make sure to make regular stops if you're driving so you can walk around and keep the blood circulating to prevent the formation of deep clots.

Here are some tips that I provide my patients:

1.Don't lie around all day during your recovery. Walk around a bit to help your circulation. This helps to prevent deep clots in your leg veins and can help with the recovery process.

2. Make sure you don't make any sudden jerky movements and move your arms slowly.

3.Wear your compression garment for the entire time your surgeon specifies.

Finally, make sure you have a doctor or surgeon who can provide you with assistance once you get back home. Any complications should be reported to them immediately (as well as to your performing surgeon), wherever you are.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Traveling for surgery

+1
It is not unusual for patients to ravel for surgery. You are making a permanent change to your appearance. if you feel strongly that the best doctor for you is not in your neighborhood, there is no reason not to travel for surgery. However, you need to be prepared to stay in town at least a few days, and you need to be prepared to come back in town in the event that you need any kind of revision.

Our out of town patients will always stay overnight in our facility. It depends on exactly where you live and the procedure you will be having that will dictate exactly how much time you need to stay in town. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Travel

+1
I ask out of town patient to stay for 10 days after surgery, I also require them to have a physical exam by me before surgery and never guarantee that I will perform the surgery until I have seen them in person

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Travel

+1
Most of my patients fly in for surgery. My suggestion is always to stick around for a week but very few patients actually do that. A reasonable way to think about it is, most of the issues with breast augmentation will occur within the first 24 hours so if you come in postoperative day 1 and everything is ok, although it is a risk, it would be rare to have a problem. On the other hand be prepared to change your ticket if something is wrong.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Traveling a distance for breast augmentation

+1
Five hours is borderline for "out-of-town" or surgical tourism. I would expect a surgeon who is willing to perform surgery on out of town patient to have specific requirements for care after the surgery and followup that are similar to patients from nearby.
My approach for breast augmentation was to have the patient stay in the area at least overnight and check in with the office before leaving for home (not driving herself) the next day. Followup within one week is also required. After that followup could be more flexible assuming healing is uneventful. 
For truly out of town patients I would recommend staying in the area for one week before returning home, again assuming uneventful healing/recovery. 
It is just not good practice to operate on a patient and not have the aftercare thought out and agreed upon including the need for dealing with the unexpected. Good surgery is not just the operation. It's the surgical evaluation and preparation before the surgery and good followup and aftercare following the surgery. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Traveling to get breast implants

+1
I recommend to my out-of-town patients stopping every hour to walk around after having a breast implant procedure.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Travel for breast implant surgery

+1
Thank you for your breast implant question.'
  1. Most surgeons doing surgery for distant patients have specific requirements,
  2. If not - you should arrive the day before and you should not plan to leave until the day after surgery at the earliest. 
  3. Bleeding can occur after any surgery. You need to be near your surgeon if that occurs. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Do not fly for 10 days after breast augmentation

+1
Thank you for your question.  If you are traveling by car, Boston or train You may be able to return home by a week.  It is important that you be seen and examined by your plastic surgeon at least after a few days make certain that you are recovering properly.  Flying should be avoided the first 10 days because of the risk of thrombophlebitis or blood clots in the calves.

Usually the first 10 days of recovery are the most important and I personally like to see my patients on several occasions during those first 10 days.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS