Another Procedure Necessary with Pregnancy After Breast Augmentation?

I'm 24 and stopped breastfeeding about 6 months ago. I'm thinking about getting a breast augmentation. Since I am definitely going to have more children, will I need to get another procedure if I have it now, and get pregnant and breastfeed afterwards? If so, what can I do now with everything hanging?

Pregnancy after Breast Augmentation will have Variable Effects

+2

Hi there-

As you know already, pregnancy produces visible changes in a woman's body, and with delivery and cessation of lactation, breast involution (shrinkage of the breast tissue) will often occur as well. The net effect of the skin stretching during the pregnancy and the loss of breast tissue afterwards, is that the breast looks a bit deflated and droopy. This same process can occur when a woman experiences pregnancy after breast augmentation, with the firm and full appearance giving way to something less favorable.

In many women, breast augmentation (with or without a re-shaping procedure) is extremely successful at achieving the pre-pregnancy fulness and shape they desire, and satisfaction rates are therefore quite high. Knowing you are planning more children, however, complicates this a bit. While in my opinion there is no quick answer to your question, I would say these are the things you should think about:

1. When do you think you will become pregnant again?

2. How unhappy are you with your breasts?

3. If you underwent a breast enhancement procedure now, and after your pregnancy experienced a loss of the favorable and youthful shape achieved through the surgery, how disappointed would you be to need another breast enhancement procedure to restore the shape and possibly the size you want?

If it will be several years before you have another baby, you are driven to distraction by the current state of your breasts, and you understand and can accept the possibility that when you do have another baby you might then need to touch up your breast surgery, you may be very happy with the decision to proceed now.

If, on the other hand, you are already planning your next pregnancy, or if you would really rather not have to have another procedure once your family is complete, I would recommend you wait to proceed with surgery until then.

Breast lift and implants: now or after children

+1

IT is very likely that you will require another procedure and so I would defer the breast augmentation and lift until completion of childbearing.

Plastic surgery after pregnancy

+1

If you get a breast augmentation and you plan on breastfeeding in the future, you may need to supplement with formula. Also, if you get a tummy tuck and then get pregnant the abdominal wall may stretch out again requiring another tightening. Be sure you tell your plastic surgeon about your future childbearing plans. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Breast and Pregnancy

+1

Every woman has different affect from pregnancy and it is hard for a plastic surgeon to predict. The best way to predict is to ask what happened to my breasts after my pregnancy and breast feeding. If you tell me that your breasts were up high and drooped quite a bit after pregnancy and breast feeding then I will say that after having breast augmentation there is a high likelihood that you will need additional surgery later. It may just be a lift at that point.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Every woman's breast react differently to pregnancy

+1

If your breast have lost volume and or drooped with your first pregnancy then the same thing will probably happen again with additional pregnancies. If not much happened to your breast with your first pregnancy then you probably will not have much of a change with additional pregnancies. Regardless, I see no reason for you to delay until after your subsequent pregnancies. What will be will be. The worst thing that could happen is that you may need a breast lift sometime later but that would be the case with or with out implants.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD