Which Placement Type is Optimal for Gummy Bear Implants?

My doctorr says I have sufficient breast tissue and is recommending sub-fascial placement. I worry about increased capsular contracture risk and increased sagging when I have kids in future Any anecdotal recommendations from those who have worked extensively with Allergan 410s/gummy bear breast implants?

Dual Plane is usually, but not always the best...

+3

I have extensive experience with the 410 in a variety of pockets and have attended international meetings and lectured overseas on it.

While its resistance to ripple makes subglandular placement more viable than with standard silicone, even these implants benefit substantially from having the additional coverage of the muscle. Most international surgeons experienced with these implants go behind the muscle.

There are a number of plastic surgeons in Brazil who tout the subffacial placement for these implants, citing better coverage than submammary placement and less complications than submuscular.

But the additional tissue coverage of the fascia is miniscule, and the problems from being behind the muscle are minimized when a precise dual plane technique is utilized. The number of patients in the subfacial studies are all fewer than in submuscular studies, and the follow-up in the published studies is not long enough to prove that the results hold up as long as submuscular placement.

So, subfacial is a totally accepted, bonafide, and reasonable way of doing this procedure. But in my opinion, unless a patient has very thick soft tissue, they still are better off behind the muscle.

410s are not currently available for everyone's use

+3

The Allergan 410 implants have not yet been released for general use yet but there are some surgeons on this site that have a lot of experience with this implant. One that is commonly on line is Dr Teitelbaum. Regards placement, you will get different opinions from different plastic surgeons. I prefer a submuscular placement in virtually all of my patients because I try to provide the thickest coverage possible and I feel lifting the muscle, for the most part, yields a longer term support to the upper breast. Best of luck

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Your goal should be to maximize the about of tissue covering the implant

+1

Your goal should be to maximize the amount of your own tissue covering the implant.  Regardless of implant type, I feel this gives the most natural results.  Under the muscle gives the most coverage.  Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

410's in the US

+1

410 implants are not in general use in the US. They are only being used in experimental protocols.  The word out is that the implants are a bit firmer. They require a larger incision to place them in the pocket.   

Sub fascial placement of Allergan 410

+1

I understand your confusion. There is significant variation in the recommendations by different surgeons.This is a very difficult question to answer and due to the relatively limited information available on these implants and relatively recent introduction of this style, it is difficult to draw and conclusive recommendations.