Pain in Right Breast After Augmentation

I had breast augmentation two months ago. I still have pain in my right breast, near to the breast bone area. At night if I sleep on the right side, or if I sleep on my back for long time, the pain will appear. Mornings, I have this complain for few hours and then it's fading until gone. When I press the painful area, it hurts more, but I dont feel any difference in touch from the other breast. Also, I'm a flight attendant and I'm afraid that the pressure will damage my silicone implants. Any advice?

See your surgeon for a better diagnosis

+1
You should see your surgeon for a physical examination, as it is difficult to give you a proper diagnosis. However this could be nerve regeneration if you feel tingling or burning, and this generally resolves in the weeks and months following surgery. It could also just be pain associated with the trauma of surgery, since you are still recovering from surgery.

Air pressure changes do not affect implants, therefore you don't have to worry about damaging them while flying.

Avoid painful activity

+1
Pain on one side more than the other is a very common finding, especially this early after surgery.  Try to refrain from activities that provoke the pain and eventually it will subside.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Pain 2 months later

+1
Can you put one finger on the area that hurts? Do you have a "zinging" sensation when this spot is touched? If so, you may have scarring of one of your sensory nerves. If not, make sure to rule out other medical causes of pain. Either way, you should see your surgeon to discuss these concerns and get to the bottom of it.

Grant Stevens, MD

Pain after Breast Implant Surgery

+1

You should consider other more serious causes of chest pain. If you are in good health and have no other causes of pain like heart related pain, reflux, costochondritis, or peptic ulcer disease, you may have pain related to irritation of your nerves. Neuropathic pain or nerve related pain maybe caused by irritation or scar tissue or maybe a pressure related phenomenon. Rest assure, there are several treatments for pain due to breast implants. If you do have pain, begin massage to the area of pain to help desensitize the area. If at least 6 months and preferably 12 months have passed after your breast implant surgery, some modalities that may help resolve your pain are:

1. Local Steroid injection to area of pinpoint pain

2. Flector transdermal NSAID patch

3. Intercostal nerve block

You should consult with your plastic surgeon to determine what is most appropriate for you and your particular signs and symptoms. Good Luck, Ankit Desai, MD - Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Pain two months after breast augmentaton

+1

AT two months after breast augmentation, the pain should be subsidign rather than persisting. I would discuss this with your surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Pain in the area around the sternum (breast bone) can still be present 2 months after breast augmentation.  When implants are placed under the muscle, some of the lower attachments of the muscle to the sternum may have to be released.  Depending on the amount of release, the pain in this area can last longer.  I would discuss it further with your plastic surgeon to ensure there is no other problems.  Flying with implants is okay and there should be no damage to your implants.

Naveen Setty, MD

Early pain not uncommon; Flying with implants OK

+1

Pain 2 months after breast augmentation is not unusual and is usually best treated with anti-inflammatory medications such as Advil/Motrin and time. You should see your plastic surgeon so that he is aware of your situation and can make sure you improve over time. Flying will not damage your breast implants.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Should get better, no problem flying with implants

+1

There are many possible causes of discomfort like you describe and in almost all cases, the problem will go away with time. It could be a few more months however. you should get a check up with your surgeon and discuss this just to be sure that all is well.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Your pain could be related to the surgical technique

+1

Most surgeons use a cauthery to control muscle bleeding during the dissection of the muscle off the breast bone and the ribs to create a pocket for the implant. I personally use the tumescent technique when I do my disection to minimize the use of the cauthery. If one encounters a muscle bleeder close to the breast bone and uses the cauthery at a high setting, it can irritate the periosteum and perichondrium (the tissues covering the bone and cartilage). This can lead to an inflammation and excess postoperative pain in that area and this can last from a few weeks to a few months before complete resolution.

Antiinflammatory medication like Motrin, Celebrex, etc. can help with pain and reduction of the inflammatory process. Flying will not affect your implants.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like nerve irritation and it will resolve

+1

The nerves that give your chest skin its feeling exit the rib cage along the border of the sternum and come up through the armpit. These nerves are commonly irritated for a few months after augmentation especially as you position yourself to where the implants will roll against the sensitive nerves. This almost always goes away and shouldn't be a cause of concern. Of course, check with your surgeon to be sure!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS