Natural Look and Feel Breast Implants for Deflated Breasts?

I've been considering breast implants since I had my son and I went from a small B to a DD while I was nursing. I have a very "deflated" look to my breasts and am barely filling out a B cup. I'm 5'9 around 120 pounds and very thin uptop. I'd like to be a full B to a small C, but it's extremely important to me to have a natural look and feel. I've heard about teardrop shaped implants, but I don't know anyone with them. Any suggestions on what would be my best option and if what I'd like is realistic?

Breast implants for a natural look

+1
I would encourage you to ask your surgeon to be able to try on different types and sizes of implants so that you can get an idea of how you would look. Because you are thin and want more fullness, your surgeon may opt to use a high profile style implant. These are narrower in width and provide more projection than a moderate profile implant. Silicone gel implants look and feel very natural, particularly when they are placed under the pectoral muscle. I would not suggest a teardrop shaped implant if you want to replace fullness after having children. I have my patients try on different sized implants in the office so that we both are on the same page about the desired result and look that the patient wants. I hope this helps in your decision!

Breast implant type?

+1

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.

On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.

Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.

On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Sep 16 '11, 4:46am

Natural look and feel breast implants

+1

If you have reviewed each experts answer, the one issue of using the 'tear drop' implant can now be put to rest. 98% of plastic surgeons do not use that style anymore.

As for the 'natural look and feel' it seems the majority like the High Profile smooth round sub muscular placed implant. I agree.

Regards from Miami

Is it possible to look natural and have soft breasts with implants?

+1

Hi there-

First of all, I absolutely believe that what you want (a natural look and feel to the breasts) is possible.

With regard to the particular implant used, you should know that most experienced plastic surgeons would no longer use a "teardrop" shaped implant for augmentation, as they can create weird shapes and problems when they move within the pocket- and they're more expensive to boot.

My advice to you would be to spend less time worrying about the implant and more thinking about who is going to put it in you....

Somehow in the United States, the average woman has been fooled into thinking that the outcome they desire is a function of which implant is used...

The truth is that the implant does matter, but the only decision YOU (as the patient) should worry about is the choice of surgeon. If you make this decision wisely, the skilled, experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon you choose will help you choose the implant that is most likely to give you the outcome you want, all while maximizing your safety.

Here is a bit more on implants and breast augmentation:

One of the things I find most interesting is the amount of misinformation the average patient must sift through when researching breast augmentation surgery. In particular, I think that many patients become overwhelmed with implant choices and the abundance of information about these options available on the Web.

This is complicated once they contact a surgeon or two for information about the implants, and which is most likely to give them the result they desire. Somewhere along the way, opinions expressed by a surgeon are perceived as fact by a prospective patient (because of the surgeon's reputation or the apparent strength of his/her opinion), who then becomes more confused when she hears a differing opinion.

This leads to ridiculously technical questions being posted on sites like RealSelf and others, such as:

"I am 5'5", 125 lbs, my measurements are 34, 22, 36. I have had 3 babies, all by C-section, and I breast fed two of them. My breasts sag a little, but not as much as some women I have seen. I want to have a full C-cup breast. Should I get 325 cc Allergan 410 style implants, or Mentor 350 cc Moderate profile implants. Projection is more important to me than a natural shape..."

Every time I get one of these over-thought questions, I always think the same thing... ???????

Let's take a big step back from the trees here and take a look at the forrest in front of us, shall we?

Fundamentally, the reason any woman seeks breast augmentation is because she wants to achieve a certain appearance, right? Let's repeat that- to achieve a certain appearance. NOT a certain bra size, or a certain implant volume, or even a certain implant type. When you first stared to think you might want an augmentation, you didn't think, "I would like it if I could have 350cc implants"... You probably thought, "I would love to look like that (after admiring another woman's breasts)..."

So if we can agree that what you are really after is an appearance you would be happier with (as I always tell my patients), let's make the desired appearance the focus of our communications...Let us both ignore bra sizes (which are not standardized and the choice of which is very arbitrary) and implant types/sizes (for now)... Let's first understand what you want to look like. I think you would agree that if we are able to make you look the way you wanted to look, the letter on your bra and the number on your implant is lees important, right? Help me understand what you want to look like, and I can give you a very accurate recommendation of options for achieving that appearance -- provided a careful physical examination has also occurred.

Why is the exam so critical? After all, can't we just put small implants in women who want small breasts and larger implants into those who want larger ones?

The exam is critical, because for any one particular woman, there are only a few good choices of implants available, regardless of her goals, and these options are arrived at by taking careful stock of her breast tissue, skin, and frame. In other words, your anatomy will, to a large extent, help us understand the implant options that would make you look the best. This is the "One Right Result" concept. The taking of these measurements is so important, I do it myself every time, and based on these measurements and my patient's goals, then make recommendations regarding the implant options available to her (as these options would be different for different women).

While (as with any aesthetic procedure) no guarantee of outcome can be given, you are much more likely to achieve your desired outcome if you focus on communicating your desired appearance successfully with a skilled and experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon than by over-researching the implants and micro-managing the details of the surgery. In fact, I can think of no better way for you to increase the odds of you ending up dissatisfied.

So don't over-think it. Think carefully about the appearance you want, communicate it carefully to your surgeon (using photos if possible), and make sure that the implant choice arrived at by the two of you together is based on both your anatomy and your goal. You'll be happier and the process will be less stressful!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Implants for Deflated Breasts

+1

Please look at my video to see the types of results you can achieve with breast augmentation on patients with progressively more breast deflation. Breasts can look natural with implants, and this is a very easy to achieve. One of the things you have to watch out for is nipple position. If your nipples are in a "forward looking" position and your breasts have a small amount of sag, you will achieve nice results with implants. If your nipples are pointing down, they will still be pointing down after implants, and you will need to consider a lift operation. I hope the video helps a bit.

Dr. B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

You have a very reasonable goal.

+1

Hi!

Since you don't want to be too big, you can expect a result that looks and feels natural. You don't need tear drop shaped breast implants. In New York City, we hardly ever use them, because they tend to have more problems.

You may also need a little breast lift (with a scar around the nipples) to get the best possible shape.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Its all about your tissue.

+1

The more breast and soft tissue one has covering the implant, the more natural the result will be regardless of what kind of implant. For those individuals that have very little soft tissue coverage then the choice of implant size, shape , fill material and location of pocket becomes more critical.

From your description, it sounds like you may need more than an implant to achieve a natural look. If your breasts are so saggy that the nipple is lying at or below the level of your infra mammary fold, (fold at bottom of breast), you may need a breast lift as well as an implant.

Tear drop implants in saline do not perform very well and I would not recommend them. Tear drop silicone filled implants need to be cohesive gel or a form stable gel material. These implants have not yet been approved for general use by the FDA.

See a board certified plastic surgeon or if you wish post your photos on this site. This will help us all to give you a more accurate assessment of what you may need.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Smooth Round Implants

+1

I don't recommend tear drop shaped implants. Smooth Round under the muscle is usually the way to go. They look and feel more natural if you have some breast tissue... if you do not have much tissue you may consider gel implants (round). All my patients have been happy with round implants. They have a natural shape when you pick the right size and the right surgeon! Choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who will show you lots of pictures and is a breast surgeon. You should be fine if you choose the right Board Certified Surgeon.

Good Luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Several factors to consider

+1

Many women after breast feeding require a lift with or without augmentation. If you want to be a B or C, you may be a candidate for a lift alone, which would make your breasts rounder and higher on your chest, giving the effect of an implant.

If you do need a lift and implants, often, both procedures can be performed at the same stting but they may need to be staged depending on the amount of sagging of your breasts.

In terms of the implant itself, I do not favor using shaped implants. Round implants will assume a similar configuration once placed in the body anyway so using shaped implants is not necessary. Furthermore, the shaped implants have been known to rotate, creating a very odd look.

Good Luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Teardrop implants vs Round

+1

True teardrop implants havent been made for years because they would sometimes flip upside down creating a weird shape on one breast. Contoured implants are available but they are mostly used for breast reconstruction. I feel they give an un- natural shape to the breast for cosmetic purposes.

Round implants are pretty much the standard for cosmetic enlargement as they become oval in an upright position , creating a natural shape to the breast. I, personally, insert the round saline implants thru an incision in the belly button, thus leaving a well hidden scar. The entire procedure takes 20 minutes and the patients can return to normal activities in 1-2 days. the results are natural looking breasts with minimal downtime.

Robert Vitolo, MD