Can Breast Implants Cause a Muscle Tear?

I just had under the muscle silicone 325cc's implants about 2 weeks ago. My left breast has always been more sore, swollen, and somewhat painful. I just noticed the pain getting worse, to the point to sneeze, breathe hard, move wrong way, or bend over causes "scream out loud" pain. I also noticed last night under the breast when I outstretch my arm something protruding out...like a muscle or tendon. Is this somethind to worry about? Dr. said to come in Tues and didn't seem concerned at all??

Implants themselves cannot cause a muscle tear

+1
Surgery to insert implants could cause a muscle tear. This can be evaluated best with an MRI and then your plastic surgeon can evaluate and make a recommendation. The problem could also be a capsular contracture or a hematoma. First, you need an evaluation and a differential diagnosis. Best of luck.

Muscle tear after implants

+1

When an implant is placed under the muscle, the muscle is deliberately cut to allow the proper positioning of the implant.  It is hard to say what the band is that you are seeing or feeling without an exam.

Can breast implants cause muscle tear

+1

A tear in the muscle could be caused by putting too much pressure on the muscle during normal daily activities, quick heavy lifting, during sports, or performing work tasks.It is hard to say without examining you. I would definitely get a mammogram to make sure there are no suspicious findings. The pain could caused from physical activity that put too much strain on your breast. In that case, the pain should subside within a few weeks. The pain could also be linked to capsular contracture or maye even a loose pocket judging by the symptoms you described. You should see your board-certified plastic surgeon, especially if the pain is not going away.

Sam Speron, MD

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Experiencing increasingly excruciating pain 2 weeks after breast augmentation is unusual, and you should be examined to determine exactly the cause of the pain and appropriate treatment. Muscle tears usually do not present as something protruding out from your arm.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Need to rule out hematoma after breast implants.

+1

Hi.

Not sure, but one thing I would do is a sonogram. It will tell your plastic surgeon if you have a hematoma (collection of blood) in your left breast, that needs to be removed.  Really no such thing as muscle tear in this context.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Mondor's disease and breast augmentation with implants: palpable or visible cord like tendon under breast fold

+1

This is commonly referred to as "Mondor's disease" based on your description and is very common 2-3 weeks after surgery and tends to resolve. However, the level of pain you describle is somewhat unusual and merits attention.