What Breast Implants to Go with to Have More Cleavage

Is there a certain type of implant or technique that will give me more cleavage? Right now my breasts are set pretty far apart. What are my options? Thank you

Breast Implants and Cleavage

+2

It's all true what the others are telling you about the importance of an experienced breast implant surgeon in determining the best possible outcome, but that is not really answering your question.  Additionally, you have not provided photographs so I can't say exactly what your outcome might be given the right surgeon using the right implant.  I can say though that if you are thin, your breast tissue is thin and far apart, and your sternum (breast bone) is wide, you CAN NOT have tight cleavage without severe deformities called rippling, window shading, and double bubble.  In other words, you may not get the appearance you were hoping for and breast augmentation might be unsatisfactory at best.

Please visit a few, well respected breast surgery specialists who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and are also members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.  I've seen too many people who have gotten too large, too projecting, or too closely placed breast implants creating terrible results.  An expert and honest surgeon will give you a realistic opinion as to what you can expect from breast augmentation.

Best of luck.

Breast augmentation surgery results

+2

The most important decision you make is who performs your surgery.  The experience and skill level of your surgeon will determine the outcome of your surgery, including specifics such as the appearance of the cleavage area. Some important factors include the breast implant pocket dissection and the size / model of implant used.

It is very important to communicate your size and cleavage goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Cleavage!!!

+1

This is one of the most common questions that I am asked: "Can I have a close cleavage?" The answer is-IT DEPENDS. It depends on the "footplate" of your starting point breast. After looking at over 10,000 breast I can tell you that I have never seen the same breast. I can also tell you that the starting cleavage of every one varies. Some people are blessed with having close breasts but some are not and they have a wide gap. One cannot under any circumstance create a close breast if the start point is wide apart. This is a reality that patients have to come to grips with and stop blaming the surgeon for Torrie Spelling's gap. It was not his fault and it was the start point. So like so many other results in plastic surgery the start point determines the results. Surgeons who feel that experience and expertise can create cleavage out of a divergent and wide breast footplate simply have not done enough breast augmentations.

Sepehr Egrari, MD

Cleavage and breast augmentation

+1

This question also has a fairly straightforward answer and Dr. Minniti has most of it. It depends on what you mean by cleavage. If you are referring to the steepness or depth along the medial edge of the breast then the higher the implant profile the deeper the cleavage. If by cleavage you mean how far apart the medial edges of your breasts are and you want them different then you are likely to be disappointed because properly positioned and sized implants can only fill to the true edge of your breast which you can determine by pushing on them from the lateral side if there's not much there. If a pocket is made more medial to the true edge of your breast and an implant wide enough to fill it put in you risk a seriously unnatural look and deformity that is quite difficult to fix as a revision. The only safe way to do this is to do the procedure properly the first time and accept the true gap between your breasts. Later on you can change implants to wider ones which by tissue accommodation (similar to tissue expansion) can allow the medial side of the breast to fill out and make the breasts look closer together in the middle. The other way to simulate the look of cleavage is a bra that pushes the breast into the middle. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage after breast augmentation

+1
If the breasts are far apart pre-operatively, nipples directed off to the sides, ribs canted laterally, then the best approach for cleavage after augmentation, in my opinion, is as follows: 1. Use an implant with as broad a base width as your anatomy will allow, 2. Distribute existing breast tissue as smoothly over the implants as possible, 3. Medialize the implants as much as possible (but not excessively), 4. Post surgical bra to keep them medialized for 2 months or so, 5. Use as high profile an implant as you will tolerate, and 6. (most important) Wear a great push up bra after the augmentation, because if your breasts are truly far apart, you still won't have cleavage without it.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast Implants Position

+1

The horizontal position of breast implants requires a great deal of attention, both in pre-operative planning and in the operating room. Excessive lateral dissection of the implant pockets will result in augmented breasts with an excessively wide space between them in the cleavage area, and the appearance that the breasts are abnormally far apart. The result may (or may not) be tolerable in the upright standing or sitting position, but when the patient lays down in supine position (on one's back) the implants may fall far to the side and produce little to no anterior breast projection in this position. Patients with the problem almost always want it corrected, and the treatment once again is surgical: a lateral repair of the implant space, to restrain the implants from falling off to the side. 

Breast implant base diameter is also of crucial importance in creating cleavage. The base diameter (the side-to-side dimension of the implant) must be ideal for the existing horizontal dimension of the breasts preoperatively, as well as the breadth of the anterior chest in general. Obviously, a given implant volume and base diameter that works well for a small-framed patient that is 5'3" will be completely inadequate for a broad-chested patient who is 5'10". One wants to increase cleavage area fullness and lateral breast projection in most cases, and an implant of inadequate base diameter may accomplish only one of those goals, while too wide an implant will be overprojecting in both directions. Careful evaluation of all of these breast and implant dimension issues is necessary if the ultimate goal of the surgery is a natural-appearing breast augmentation.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants can enhance cleavage

+1

I would echo the other physicians' comments.  It is very important who performs your surgery and your selection of a plastic surgeon will be the most important factor.  When considering someones aesthetics goals I am always assessing what implant and type of surgical dissection are necessary to achieve the desired result.  One thing that has helped us has been the advent of digital imagining and breast models.  Using the Axis Three device a picture of your chest can be taken and the different implants placed and positioned.  It is a great way to actually see a model of what the possibilities are and get a little better idea of what the result might be after the surgery.  We have found the imaging device to be a helpful tool in determining the implant style and position.  Hope this helps.  Go Pirates!

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

CLEAVAGE

+1

Without photos of your breasts it is difficult to advise you.  Generally speaking placing implants subfascial or subglandular will acheive better cleavage.  Using a moderate profile implant offers a wider based implant can also help. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage with breast implants

+1

It is not so much the type of implant that determines the cleavage but rather the technique performed by the surgeon. Bringing the breasts closer together to achieve cleavage depends on the expertise of the surgeon to dissect the pocket appropriately and choose the right size implant to fill the pocket.

A good detailed discussion with your Plastic Surgeon is necessary to achieve your goals.

Good luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Breast Implants to get more cleavage

+1

This is definitely an important issue for many women seeking breast augmentation. However when there is a wide gap between the breasts, achieving cleavage can be more difficult. There are several reasons for this. First a larger implant is needed to increase the width of the implant so that it fills the cleavage area better. However the size needed may be larger than a patient wants. Another problem is that there is usually very little breast tissue in this area - particularly in women with a wide distance between the breasts. This can lead to the implant shell showing through the skin in the form of rippling. In these cases the shell of the implant may be more noticeable to touch as well. Silicone implants may be a better choice in these instances. Your surgeon should be able to give you a very accurate assessment of what can be done to increase cleavage in your case. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO