Can I Get Breast Implants 2 Months After Quitting Breastfeeding if my Milk is Dried Up?

2 months too early

+1
I usually recommend patients wait for 6 months after they've stopped breastfeeding before they undergo surgery. 2 months is too early.

Wait 6-12 months after done breast-feeding before breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said I suggest waiting 6 months or preferably a year after finish breast-feeding before you have breast augmentation surgery. It takes time for the breast gland to return to a normal state after breast-feeding. If you have breast augmentation too early many of the glands are still producing milk, and have not atrophied or reduced in size. You want the gland to be in its final state before surgery. If you have breast augmentation while the gland is still enlarged and it reduces in size later this may affect your result.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast implants 2 months after breast feeding cessation may be a bit too soon!

+1

If you have breast-fed before this child, you know that milk production usually takes a bit longer than 2 months to totally "dry up" and your breasts to completely settle down. Hormonal changes during pregnancy and breast feeding can increase the blood flow in the breast tissues, as well as the bacteria in the ducts, increasing the potential for more bruising, bleeding, pain, and capsular contracture. (And a more difficult job for the surgeon, making risks a bit higher for things not being "perfect.")

This is certainly avoidable by waiting a proper length of time to allow your breasts to completely "settle down" after you have completely finished breast feeding. Do yourself a favor and give your breasts a bit more time.

I tell my patients a MINIMUM of 3 menstrual cycles after stopping breast feeding, and I still see milk production and increased swelling, bruising, and pain (and I assume a higher risk of capsular contracture) in some of these women. Longer is better! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Can I Get Breast Implants 2 Months After Quitting Breastfeeding

+1

Even though you feel milk production has stopped there is still a significant amount of milk in the ducts for several weeks or months. There is some evidence this might increase the infection rate so some doctors like to wait longer. In our office we usually ask the patient to wait at least 4 months from the time breast feeding stops.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Augmentation After Breast Feeding

+1

In general, this depends on the time it takes for the breast to regain its shape and size before pregnancy and on no more milk being expressed. This may take at least 2-3 months after the last feeding. Best to check with both your OB/GYN and your plastic surgeon.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation two months after cessation of breast-feeding is probably okay.

+1

If the breasts are stable in size I think breast augmentation would be okay. Most women like to wait about six months. Nevertheless, this will be a decision by the surgeon you choose.

+1

This will obviously be a call to be made by your surgeon and you. If no more milk is produced, and all are confident that the breast size is stable, this may be a good time to proceed. All the best.