Moderate or Moderate Profile Plus Breast Implants?

My wife is having breast augmentation in December. She's torn about implant size; either 175cc Mentor Silicone Moderate profiles or 200-225cc Moderate plus. She is  small A cup and only wants to be a mid-full B cup. She does not want a C cup.

She is 5'4" 113 lbs. lean, athletic, has over 10.5 cm. but less than 11 cm. breast base diameter. She wants to have a natural look and to be able to go braless and be the size she currently is wearing padded bras. Her plastic surgeon said she doesn't need a lift and has no sagging, little upper breast tissue and a narrow ribcage.

225 MODERATE PLUS

+4

Thank you for your interesting question. Two selected possibilities are very similar (size) and both are quite small (volume), but as your wife wants a "mid-full B cup", I think that 220 MODERATE PLUS is a better option.

In my experience, we have achieved maximum patient satisfaction with final result with this "step" guide:

• Patient desire / choice
  • Clinical examination and measurements. Based on measurements, your surgeon will take photographs, on which he/she will be able to explain the different options (shapes, sizes, ..).
  • Biodynamic software (Natrelle-Allergan/European Union) that allows you (using different sizers in your bra) to see in a mirror the different options, clarifies most of the doubts.
  • eStetix / Vectra / AxisTree virtual simulation software. We use eStetix (Crisalix), but both Vectra (Canfield) or Axis Three, will help you to visualize how you will look with different breast implants.
  • Plastic Surgeon's advise

Good luck!

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+2

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/choosing-your-size.htm

Picking your implant size

+1

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Finding the right implant

+1
For me finding the right implant is about getting the shape right. I would reccomend that you and your wife have at least two sizing sessions where she tries on the implants you mentioned in a tight shirt and bra without padding. Is this a simple test? Yes, but it works quite well at getting the shape right. The implants seem a but smaller when they are done for real but once the shape seems right it dosent really matter what bra fits best because the look with and without clothing will be right. We do this on all our patients and as a result have a very low revision rate and almost never for size related issues. Hope that helps, Dr K

Breast implant sizing

+1

It's best to discuss your wishes with your trusted surgeon to determine if the slighly larger moderate plus profile or less projecting moderate profile is best in achieving your goals.  The difference is minimal, however review your desires with your surgeon to be a full B cup to determine the appropriate implant.

Dr. Pedy Ganchi/ Village Plastic Surgery

Ridgewood, New Jersey

Web reference: http://www.drpedyganchi.com

Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices

+1

The best way for you to determine what implant volume may be acceptable for you is by doing a baggy test or placing sizers in a bra.

The best implant size

+1

These implants are close enough in size that I don't imagine that much of a difference in any event.

I personally prefer the shape of the moderate plus. However, if you ask me what is beautiful, you do not know if I think Picasso produces more beautiful work then Michaelangelo.

The overriiding decision is to produce a result, you will appreciate. Your wife's comment about wamting to look natural tells me that your wife mict apprei

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/lift.html

Which profile implants to have

+1

A LOT more goes into picking THE right implant than a recitation of measurements, keying these numbers and plugging them into an old fashion computer, hearing a series of squeaks, buzzing, humming and finally - at the end of the room, a bell rings and a little computer tickets stub is spat out with the perfect implant.

You need a Plastic surgeon's experienced eye.

Having used BOTH these implants, my patients in the American South GREATLY prefer the look of the Mentor MODERATE PLUS (style 2000) implants over those of the (McGhan/Inamed now ) Allergan Moderate 60MP's. Another option, with a more natural feeling result is to use the Mentor High Profile silicone gel implants. They are just slightly smaller than the MP+'s but will have less ripples and feel much more natural.

You and your wife REALLY should speak to her surgeon to get all of this explained.

Breast Implant choice

+1

If your wife's size is a small/mid A cup and she wants a mid to full B cup and is lean with a somewhat "flat" breast, then the larger volume mod plus implant would give the better, slightly more attractive resulting breast, though may feel slightly more firm.

Moderate vs moderate plus implant looks

+1

The diffrence between these 2 implants is not so much size but in the "look" they generate. The moderate looks the most "natural" if natural means "what nature can make." The moderate plus has just a bit more upper pole fullness than that. So the choice is more on look than size.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsugery.com