Getting Breast Implants with Missing Breast Tissue? (photo)

About 3 years ago I was heavy into piercing and decided to get my nipples pierced. My left breast ended up getting infected and I had to have an abcess drained. Along with that I lost some tissue in my left breast. This breast has also had cyst in it as well that sometimes appear during that time of month I was considering implants but afraid of a serious infection or complication in my left breast considering its prior history

Breast Implants and Infection Concerns

+1

Breast implants can be placed if all infections have resolved for a period of months.  Cysts can be removed prior to augmentation, after augmentation, or left alone depending upon imaging results and clinical suspicion.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift will reshape breasts missing tissue

+1

I recommend you undergo a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using a circumareola incision it is possible to place the implant as well as reshape your breasts.  Your left breast will need to be dissected inferiorly to fill out the area of the missing tissue.  Of course, you will need different size implants since the volume of your breasts are different.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants with Cyst

+1

It appears you can get a very nice result from breast augmentation.The infection you had was related to a piercing, so short of another similar piercing I would not expect it to happen again. Cysts can be managed the same way with or without implants. So I would say if you want implants get them. You are not at any increased risk.

Michael Horn, MD

Chance of infection should be low

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  It sounds like your skin infection occurred a while back and you are not suffering from any signs of infection currently.  If that is the case your chance of infection from a breast augmentation should be very low and comparable to other breast augmentation patients.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast implants with previous infection

+1

You should be a reasonable candidate for breast implants without worrying about infection if you have your surgery performed by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs a lot of breast surgery, and if you have it performed at a state approved surgery center or hospital.  The risk for infection with primary breast surgery is low even with your previous history.  That being said if I was your surgeon I would treat you with an antibiotic pre/post surgery for longer and watch you more closely.  Therefore I would communicate your concern to your PS so they can take more precautions with you.  Good luck to you!!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Getting Breast Implants with Missing Breast Tissue?

+1

The one posted photo does not demonstrate a very noticeable defect in the left breast. Yes you are a candidate for implants. And the risk of infection should be low. Best to discuss with a few PSs in person. 

Breast implants with history of breast infection

+1

At this point, your infection should be completely treated. If you no longer have symptoms and a physical exam by a plastic surgeon verifies that your tissue is back to normal, there should be no contraindication to breast augmentation. I would suggest having the implants placed in the subpectoral position through an inframammary fold incision to minimize your risks of palpability and capsular contracture. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Candidate Despite Previous Breast Infection?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct consultation some generalized advice may be helpful to you. Assuming that you have absolutely no signs/symptoms of infection/inflammation at this point ( which is probably the case since you are 3 years out of your breast infection), there should be no contraindication to proceed with breast augmentation surgery. It is possible, that your breast symmetry will be improved significantly with the use of different sizes and/or profiles of breast implants.

I would suggest that you select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate  the goals clearly; in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with his communication process.

Getting Breast Implants with History of Breast Abscess.

+1

Your concern is rational. After three years, assuming no more piercing in the region all the inflammation should be resolved. My only suggestion would be to  consider aspirating the cyst for culture. If negative, no worries. Best bet is to discuss this at a consultation.

You may find that different sized implants are recommended for each side. The balance will be better, but don't expect perfect symmetry--it won'g happen. 

RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.