Will Breast Implants Address the Damage from Reduction?

I had a breast reduction a year and a half ago, and I am not happy. Too much was removed, which resulted to huge scars, bad shape, lack of cleavage and I can see scars underneath breasts when I stand. Can breast implants  help  add shape and size, now that my skin is stretched tight, and the breasts are flattened, misshapened?

Implants after reduction

+1

The breast implants may add volume and perhaps some shape to breasts that have been overresected during a breast reduction.

+1

Breast implants may restore the volume but cannot correct the numerous features you have described such as scars, shape, cleavage, etc.

Scar revision and breast implants can help damage after breast reduction

+1

Breast implants can help restore volume to the breast after breast reduction, but not improve the scars.

However, wide visible sacrs after breast reduction can certainly be improved by surgical scar revision at the time of breast augmentation nwith breast implants.

hopefully the breast implants can be placed so that the breast will fall over the bottom scars and hide them.

Consult at least two board certified plastic surgeons who are specificall experienced in breast surgery and ask to see pictures of their results.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast reduction damage

+1

Dear LezaJo

Unfortunately nothing will address the "damage" of a breast reduction as you put it. But there are things that can be done to greatly improve your results.

From the sound of your question you have several problems: 1. too little volume left in the breast, 2. inadequate cleavage, 3 poor shape, and 4. poor scars. Let address these problems.

The volume can be corrected with implants but I would recommend you have a copy of your operative report to give to the doctor. Different doctors use different techniques and this is important when going in to put in an implant. The inadequate cleavage can also be improved with the implant.

Sometimes after a breast reduction you can get a flattening and bottoming out of the breast which you may have. The implant will help this along with a revision or mastopexy at the time the implant is placed.

Finally the scars. You can't take away the scars but repositioning and revising them as part of the mastopexy scar revision will go a long way to improve your scars. Good luck in your quest and speak to several plastic surgeons before making a final decision.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants after a reduction

+1

Breast implants will help to restore volume to your breasts, but you may also need a lift if the areolae are ptotic (droopy.) Make sure that if you do get implants that the plastic surgeon is aware of the type of reduction that you had. Otherwise, the blood supply to your areolae and nipples may be injured.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Breast implants add volume and size but don't correct bad shape

+1

It sounds like your reduction might need to be entirely revised to improve the scars and shape and an implant will add volume if you are too small. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implants Can Restore Fullness After Reduction

+1

I began collecting photos of patients who had prior anchor-scar breast reductions who I later placed implants in. There are some special concerns when doing so, but for the most part the resulst are very good and the patients are happy.

The main benefit is that it restores the fullness at the top of the breast and allows cleavage, and changes a "pancake" shaped breast into a more rounded shape.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Breast implants can add volume and shape

+1

Breast implants can add volume to your breasts but the scars would need to be revised to hopefully improve their appearance. The problem with most breast lifts or breast reductions is there is less upper breast fullness as you recover.

I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon who can better counsel you on what will help you.

Take care.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Fixing a breast reduction outcome

+1

Improving a breast reduction outcome can involve implants. More commonly it is treated by re-arranging the reduction itself. Implants are usually secondary. Shape improvement will likely involve more than just placing implants. It sounds like you may want your scars revised anyway.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon