Breasts Not Perfectly Centered After Augmentation

I had silicone breast implants 3 weeks ago, and during my first follow-up appointment (2 weeks ago), I noticed that one of my breasts is closer to the middle than the other and that they are not perfectly centered. I asked the nurse about this and she said not to worry because they still had a lot of settling and healing to do. I am going back next week for my second follow-up appointment, but I am very concerned about this. Is it normal for this to happen and can it/will it correct itself with time?

Does it sound like I may need to have revision surgery? It's not really that noticeable, but without a shirt on, with a bathing suit top and with some shirts, it is obvious.

Off-centered breasts

+1

Without a photo, it is difficult to assess your "off centered" breasts. Typically this is associated with unrecognized pre-oepratigve breast asymmetry

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Asymmetry at 3 weeks

+1

There are many reasons for this to happen. Some are related to surgery and swelling and some are related to your own starting point and the fact that subtle asymmetries can be magnified by an augmentation rather than corrected by the surgery. The best plan is to stay calm and have a visit with your surgeon, not just the nurse, soon to discuss if this is normal and expected since they know you best. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Give your breasts time to settle

+1

Hi,

Your nurse was correct! It can take several months for things settle down, so it is too early to tell at this point if it is something you should worry about. It can be normal for this to happen. Chances are that this should correct itself in time. Keep going to your follow-ups and your surgeon will be able to notify you if there is anything to worry about or if you need a revision.

Finally, please remember 100% of patients are asymmetric before surgery and 100% will be asymmetric after surgery!

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

If you are not symmetrical at 3 weeks, that's not a good sign.

+1

Hi!

I know this is not what you want to hear, but sometimes talk of swelling and settling sounds like a delaying tactic. I believe that the breasts should look great right away.

Things may well change or improve, and I hope they do for you. In any case, you should not do anything for 6 months. But I am afraid it will come to accepting the asymmetry or having a revision breast augmentation. The good news is that this should be easy to correct.

Some reasons for asymmetry

+1

In general, you should not look at your breast too critically at this time. Things will change as you heal and the tissues stretch. However, a couple of common causes are either a difference in the position of the pocket of the implants or a pre-existing asymmetry of the position of your natural breasts. If one breast is slightly more lateral, then once the implant is centered behind the nipple, that implant will also lie more lateral.

Be patient after breast augmentation

+1

Your breast will settle over the next 3-6 months. Their position will change as they gradually descend and typically separate. They separate the most when they are placed under the muscle because of a squeezing effect from lifting or pushing. Give your breasts time. Another thing to realize is that a large percentage of women start off with significant visual asymmetries of their chest walls that will affect the ultimate position of the breast implant making asymmetry very likely. Typically, if you are asymmetric to start with, you will stay asymmetric. View your before pictures with your surgeon to see where your asymmetries may have been.

Good luck.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Very early in recovery

+1

It will take weeks to months to see the final results of your surgery. In the mean time it is important to follow your plastic surgeon's insttructions for healing. Perfect symmetry is rare in nature and although we strive to get things as close to stymmetric as we can, some asymmetry will persist. Continue with your follow-ups and be patient as you recover. Take care.

Dr Edwards

Web reference: http://www.medwardsmd.com/plasticsurgery_questions1.html

Breast Implants

+1

At 3 weeks post-op just try to be patient.  The nurse is correct that things will continue to change as swelling resolves.  Chances are things will be fine but you'll need to give it months, not weeks.