Breast Implants or Mastopexy to Lift Areola?

I've always disliked how low my areola on my breast. However, my actual breasts are not sagging, which makes me wonder if Breast implants would provide enough of a pseudo lift to raise my areola around 2 cm or so (in addition to rounding them out).

I'm really reluctant to have scars on my breast--while I've seen terrific results, I've also seen terrible ones. If you recommend implants, which kinds?

If you recommend Mastopexy, what kind of scarring is average? Ideally I would like my breasts to look "sexy" as opposed to the "cute" look I am currently working with. Thanks!

Breast IMplants can improve Nipple Areola postion hold off on lift

While I agree that Breast Augmentation with a Breast Implant cannot "lift" the Breast, a well placed Implant can certainly improve your Nipple Areola position.

You can definitely benefit from increased fullness in the inferior pole of your Breast. An experienced surgeon can postition an Implant to achieve this for you. By increasing the fullness in the portion of your Breast below the Nipple Aerola, the Nipple Areola is pushed forward and up.

I believe you can avoid the scars of a Dermal Mastopexy or Breast Lift.

Implants won't lift your breasts

As Dr.s Placik and Aldea have said, you would not get the lift you want from an implant alone. A periareolar lift would help with a very acceptable scar just around the areolar border. Most all the time this is complimented by an implant but in your case you might be okay without one. I have many photos of these on my web site.

Try breast implants first then possibly Benelli lift

Your issue is you need an in person examination by 3 board certified plastic surgeons. At the office visit more photos can be done or computer imaging, measurements, and then a DETAILED discussion of your options.

Over the internet with just OK photos, I would recommend (again this is a non examined recommendation) just a 250 cc implant NO lifting YET!

If after 3 months you still desire some more elevation than under local anesthesia I would do a "donut" or Benilli lift. Yes, I know this would possibly be 2 operations (one major - the implants, the other minor - the lift) but this gives you the opportunity to see the progression of the appearance of the surgery during healing.

Otherwise, the majority of the expert posters seem to agree - "SEE Boarded Surgeons"!

Breast implants or mastopexy for low nipples

I would agree with many of the other doctors and recommend either nothing, or a periareolar lift given your slightly low nipples. If you wanted a larger volume, an implant would be required. It appears as though your lower pole is slightly tight as well.

Cecause you currently have no scars on your breasts, having a new scar is a tradeoff that you will want to weight with your surgeon.

I do not believe that an implant alone will result in your best appearance.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Breast implants vs. mastopexy to lift areolae

"Sexy "and "cute " are not terms found in the plastic surgery literature, rather we are trained to achieve balence, equilibrium, and harmony amongst parts (of the body). When that is achieved, by definition, there is beauty, and in my estimation you fullfil these criteria.

As plastic surgeons we also learn that "if something isn't broken don't fix it' and "the enemy of the good is the perfect"

Barry H. Dolich, MD (Retired)
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Dual Plane May Be An Option

Although your pictures are helpful, it’s virtually impossible to make a specific recommendation without a physical examination.It’s not unusual for plastic surgeons to encounter patients who have breast hypoplasia associated with mild breast sag.These patients want larger breasts but don’t want the scarring that’s frequently seen with breast lift surgery.

Under these circumstances, dual plane breast augmentation offers significant advantages.This procedure creates a pocket beneath the pectoralis muscles as well as a separation between the muscle and the overlying breast tissue.This results in the implant having muscle coverage superiorly and breast tissue covering the implant inferiorly.

This configuration allows the breast tissue to cover the implants in a more natural way.It avoids the need for a breast lift and avoids a snoop-dog or double-bubble deformity.In addition, the patient continues to have the advantages of submuscular implant placement including a decreased risk of capsular contracture.

If you’re considering breast augmentation and have mild breast sag, you may be an excellent candidate for this procedure.However, if the procedure fails, you may still ultimately need a breast lift procedure.Under these circumstances it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area.This surgeon should be able to help formulate a plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Thank you for your question, and the image provided.

It appears from the image, along with your stated goals, that a reasonable approach would be to consider a breast augmentation as the initial way to enhance your breast shape. 

If after the initial healing, three to four months later, you are still wanting to have your nipple area raised then a breast, or nipple lift can be considered. 

My feeling is that you may not be as focused on the nipple area after the overall breast shape, and upper pole fullness is enhanced by the breast augmentation.

I hope that helps.

Sergio Pasquale Maggi, MD, FACS
Austin Plastic Surgery Center

Periareolar Breast Lift

The periareolar ("donut" or Benelli) technique is suitable for the treatment of mild to moderate ptosis (classified as grade I or II). It is also the least invasive form of breast lift. You may find that you won't be able to achieve the results you want with this technique.

Talk to your surgeon about Allergan Inspira Truform 2 implants, which are a bit more cohesive than other implants so that they maintain their shape better. Opt for more projection to give your breasts a lift. 

Breast Implants or Mastopexy to Lift Areola

In reviewing your photos I think a small mastopexy moving the nipple areolar complex up would help the overall appearance of your breasts.  If you would like to be larger then you could also have a small implant inserted.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

I think a small periareolar lift would be appropriate to help round out your breasts.  I would not do implants alone but a small implant with the periareolar lift is appropriate if a larger size is desired.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD