Breast Implants or Mastopexy to Lift Areola?

I've always disliked how low my areola on my breast. However, my actual breasts are not sagging, which makes me wonder if Breast implants would provide enough of a pseudo lift to raise my areola around 2 cm or so (in addition to rounding them out).

I'm really reluctant to have scars on my breast--while I've seen terrific results, I've also seen terrible ones. If you recommend implants, which kinds?

If you recommend Mastopexy, what kind of scarring is average? Ideally I would like my breasts to look "sexy" as opposed to the "cute" look I am currently working with. Thanks!

Breast IMplants can improve Nipple Areola postion hold off on lift

+3

While I agree that Breast Augmentation with a Breast Implant cannot "lift" the Breast, a well placed Implant can certainly improve your Nipple Areola position.

You can definitely benefit from increased fullness in the inferior pole of your Breast. An experienced surgeon can postition an Implant to achieve this for you. By increasing the fullness in the portion of your Breast below the Nipple Aerola, the Nipple Areola is pushed forward and up.

I believe you can avoid the scars of a Dermal Mastopexy or Breast Lift.

Implants won't lift your breasts

+3

As Dr.s Placik and Aldea have said, you would not get the lift you want from an implant alone. A periareolar lift would help with a very acceptable scar just around the areolar border. Most all the time this is complimented by an implant but in your case you might be okay without one. I have many photos of these on my web site.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Try breast implants first then possibly Benelli lift

+2

Your issue is you need an in person examination by 3 board certified plastic surgeons. At the office visit more photos can be done or computer imaging, measurements, and then a DETAILED discussion of your options.

Over the internet with just OK photos, I would recommend (again this is a non examined recommendation) just a 250 cc implant NO lifting YET!

If after 3 months you still desire some more elevation than under local anesthesia I would do a "donut" or Benilli lift. Yes, I know this would possibly be 2 operations (one major - the implants, the other minor - the lift) but this gives you the opportunity to see the progression of the appearance of the surgery during healing.

Otherwise, the majority of the expert posters seem to agree - "SEE Boarded Surgeons"!

Breast implants or mastopexy for low nipples

+2

I would agree with many of the other doctors and recommend either nothing, or a periareolar lift given your slightly low nipples. If you wanted a larger volume, an implant would be required. It appears as though your lower pole is slightly tight as well.

Cecause you currently have no scars on your breasts, having a new scar is a tradeoff that you will want to weight with your surgeon.

I do not believe that an implant alone will result in your best appearance.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Breast implants vs. mastopexy to lift areolae

+2

"Sexy "and "cute " are not terms found in the plastic surgery literature, rather we are trained to achieve balence, equilibrium, and harmony amongst parts (of the body). When that is achieved, by definition, there is beauty, and in my estimation you fullfil these criteria.

As plastic surgeons we also learn that "if something isn't broken don't fix it' and "the enemy of the good is the perfect"

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar Breast Lift

+1
You may benefit from a periareolar ("donut" or Benelli) technique to address mild to moderate ptosis (classified as grade I or II). It is the least invasive form of breast lift. The surgeon performs the periareolar technique by removing excess tissue from the area that surrounds the areola. This is carried out through incisions made in a donut-shape (hence the technique's nickname), but, in cases where extra lift is required, extra tissue may also be removed from the top of the areola. The surgeon then lifts the nipple and areola before stitching the residual skin to the areola.

After the surgery is finished, the skin surrounding the areola may begin to wrinkle. This is a natural side effect, occurring due to the circumference of the remaining skin being slightly larger than that of the areola's outer rim. After a few months of healing, the skin begins to relax and the wrinkling subsides. Since periareolar mastopexy requires relatively few incisions to create a successful lift, it leaves behind only minimal, localized scarring around the areola.

Talk to your surgeon about Allergan Inspira Truform 2 implants, which are a bit more cohesive than other implants so that they maintain their shape better. Opt for more projection to give your breasts a lift. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Implants or Mastopexy to Lift Areola

+1

In reviewing your photos I think a small mastopexy moving the nipple areolar complex up would help the overall appearance of your breasts.  If you would like to be larger then you could also have a small implant inserted.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

+1

I think a small periareolar lift would be appropriate to help round out your breasts.  I would not do implants alone but a small implant with the periareolar lift is appropriate if a larger size is desired.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Implants alone do not raise nipples or areolae

+1

Unfortunately breast implants do not raise the nipples.  Many women think they do, even some plastic surgeons.  It's a common fallacy that implants take up the slack and move the nipples up.  But I've done the measurements.  So if you want your nipples/areolae elevated, you need a lift.  Breast implants also stretch the areolae and make them wider, which you might not want.

The best type of lift is the vertical type with a lollipop scar.  This technique reliably elevates the breast while keeping scars to a minimum.  In your case, it would also make the areola a little smaller, which might be nice.  I've attached a link to my website in case you wish to look at some examples.  You are right.  There are some scary looking breast lifts out there, so you need to be careful in selecting your surgeon and the technique.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon