Will Breast Implants and Liposculpture Cause Stretch Marks After Pregnancy?

I am 32 and I am planning to have a breast augmentation (something discreet) and a liposculpture within the next two weeks, but also I would like to get pregnant of my second baby in about 10 months. I did not get any stretch marks at all from my first pregnancy, but I am really concerned that the breast implants or the Lipo will cause them when I get pregnant again. Any opinions?

Stretch marks - Unlikely to be caused by surgery, but expected after pregnancy

+2

Stretch marks ("striae") are a common occurrence after rapid weight gain or stretching of the skin, as in puberty or pregnancy.

Striae are caused by a small tear in the dermis (lower layer of the skin) that heals by filling itself in with scar tissue. The epidermis (top layer of the skin) remains intact, but is often stretched out, enabling the scar tissue below to be visible as a shiny, irregular and sometimes depressed area of skin.

One study estimated that between 75% and 90% of women develop some degree of stretch marks after pregnancy, usually in the lower belly region.

Unfortunately, stretch marks are permanent. Although they tend to fade with time, like all scars, they are permanent, like scars.

Despite many claims, topical creams and other therapies to the skin cannot eliminate or remove stretch marks. The only way to permanently remove stretch marks is to surgically excise them, for instance, in a tummy tuck. Many moms are proud of their stretch marks, as they remind them of their pregnancies and their beloved little ones!

A breast augmentation and liposuction would be very unlikely to create stretch marks, so long as the breast implants were not so large that they caused massive stretching and tearing of the dermis of the breast skin. By a "discrete" breast augmentation, I assume you are aiming for a natural, subtle result. This would be highly unlikely to create any striae.

You are lucky that you did not have stretch marks following your first pregnancy. This may be because of your age and genetics. Hopefully, you will continue to enjoy a body free of stretch marks. However, changes occur with each and every pregnancy, and you may discover some new striae after your next pregnancy.

Best of luck, and congratulations on your family!

Karen M. Horton, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.S.C.

Augmentationa nd liposuction and stretch marks

+1

If you did not get stretch marks with your first pregnancy   you probably will not with the second..although there are no guarantees.

VIDEO (Click HERE)Will Breast Implants and Liposculpture Cause Stretch Marks After Pregnancy?

+1

It is generally unlikely that your implants and liposculptorre would result in the apperance stretch marks.

Stretch marks are NOT caused by Surgery (Breast Augmentation,Tummy Tuck, Liposuction)

+1

Surgery does NOT cause stretch marks. Stretch marks should more accurately be called STRETCH CRACKS; they are full thickness cracks in the dermis layer of the skin which fill with scar tissue and are permanent. As such they cannot be removed or erased by ANY lotion, cream, vitamin supplements, hand rollers, any of a number of berries and especially NOT LASERS.

In my opinion you should delay your breast augmentation to AFTER the birth of your child. A few months after the birth of the baby (6 months after you are done breast feeding) you can have BOTH your breast augmentation and tummy tuck and have a great result. On the other hand, doing it earlier with future pregnancies AFTER the surgery will guarantee a very short lasting result.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Breast augmentation and Lipo won't cause stretch marks

+1

If you did not have stretch marks after your first baby, then you likely will not have them after a discreet breast augmentation. Liposuction can make old stretch marks look worse but liposuction alone will not cause them.

I would wait until after your pregnancy to have these procedures. The pregnancy will alter your results. It is better to have these procedure after your body has recovered form the pregnancy.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Stretch Marks after Breast Augmentation or Lipo?

+1

Brenda,

Stretch marksresult from when the skin "stretches" beyond its ability to spring back and actually tears the deeper layer of the skin. The most common circumstances are pregnancy or significant weight gain. Why some women get stretch marks and others do not is largely a product of genetics and who their parents are. Unfortunately, not much else. You can control this to some degree by limiting or controlling your base weight, but with pregnancy, there is not much you can do.

Thus, taking away tissue in procedures such as liposuction, the likelihood of stretch marks is almost zero. Breast augmentation can result in striae, but in your case a "discrete" augmentation is very unlikely to cause this, especially when pregnancy did not result in abdominal stretch marks.

The biggest question is why undergo body sculpting and breast augmentation procedures less than a year before you intend to get pregnant again? If you were my patient, I would recommend that you weight until the next pregnancy is complete to begin your "transformation."

Unfortunately, I have had patients who did not develop stretch marks during their first pregnancy, but then did with second or third child. Thus, the surgery you need today may not be the one you need next year! If you weren't pursuing another child then I would say go for it; otherwise patience can be a valuable virtue.

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Stretch marks from pregnancy more likely after breast augmentation

+1

More than likely, if you didn't get stretch marks from your first pregnancy you shouldn't get them from the next, although there is no guarantee.  The breast augmentation should not be a factor.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD