Choosing a Breast Implants and Lift Surgeon

I am considering having breast implants and breast lift. What credentials should I look for in a surgeon?

Picking a plastic surgeon

+2

While board-certification with the American Board of Plastic Surgery is generally a reassuring and perhaps minimal requirement (or board-eligibility for recent residency graduates) not all plastic surgeons have extensive experience in your specific area of concern. My recommendation would be to start with your own doctors, your internist, pediatrician, family doctor, or especially gynecologist. All women who have undergone plastic surgery of the breast will have found their way back to their gynecologist. They will often have knowledge of who is good, who is safe, who has complications, etc. Usually, good doctors refer to other good doctors since their own reputations are on the line. Ask to speak to former patients of your surgeon as well.

Choosing plastic surgeon?

+1

Anyone considering plastic or reconstructive surgery should consider consulting a board certified plastic surgeon to achieve the best and safest results possible. Physicians who are considered board certified hold a certification with the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). This certification proves that the surgeon has graduated from an accredited medical school, has completed a residency of at least five years, has three years of experience in general surgery, is actively practicing plastic surgery for at least two years, and has passed mandatory comprehensive and written examinations. These surgeons are referred to as diplomats of the ABPS and have fulfilled the following requirements.  
It is in the patient’s best interest to choose a board certified plastic surgeon. It is vital to your safety and the success of your cosmetic surgery that the surgeon you choose has the right qualifications, ample experience, and documented results of his or her work. ABPS diplomats have extensive skill and experience in a wide range of plastic surgery procedures.
There are a number of advantages in choosing a qualified and highly experienced plastic surgeon to perform your cosmetic surgery. If there are any complications during surgery, an experienced plastic surgeon will be more adept at handling the situation. In addition, a plastic surgeon that has performed many cosmetic surgeries will have had more time to perfect his or her technique and results.

Reputable plastic surgeons should have privileges to perform cosmetic surgery procedures in the operating room at an accredited hospital, not just in the surgery center in their office. They work with a highly skilled team including, board certified anesthesiologists, nurses, and technicians to enhance patient comfort and to provide a peace of mind to the patient’s and their families.
During your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, ask to see before and after photos of actual patients who have undergone cosmetic surgery. The surgeon may provide you with a list of patients you may speak to as a reference for the doctor. To enhance your education regarding the surgeon, you may be introduced to some post-op patients as well during your visit with the surgeon. Most patients are willing to share their experience regarding their surgeon, the staff, hospital, and recovery. 
Professional doctors will ensure realistic expectations and take the time to address your concerns. They will provide you with honest advice and encourage you to do your homework, talk to other patients, and make an informed choice. One of the most important factors in choosing a plastic surgeon is your personal comfort level with the doctor. You should feel comfortable asking questions about your cosmetic surgery procedure so that you can make an educated final decision on whether you would like to proceed with surgery.

Choosing a surgeon for breast implant and lift

+1

A good place to start would be to make sure the surgeon is board certified in plastic surgery, (American Board of Plastic Surgery).  That way you know that he has been trained in these procedures and underwent rigorous training in a university based program entailing multiple years.  They also had to take and pass a rig ours written and oral exam.  The next qualification to look for is the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  These plastic surgeons were selected to be into the society.  Moreover they must adhere to a code of ethics and patient safety.  For example, they must do their operative procedures in an accredited facility.  The American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons further selects plastic surgeons who have additional experience and training in aesthetic procedures.  Most surgeons worth their salt are proud of their credentials because the worked hard for years to obtain them, (not take a weekend course).  We put a page on our website with web links and toll free numbers to the boards and encourage people to check out all the surgeons they are thinking about.

After that, I would ask your ob/gyn and family doctor, as they usually have seen work of plastic surgeons in their town.  I would go on three interviews.  Remember you are the boss.  This is elective surgery and you get to choose.  Ask them questions.  Look at their photos.  It is important to get a feel for the surgeon and his staff as well.

This particular procedure has may variables to it.  Have a good conversation with your plastic surgeon so together you can reach your goal.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon

+1

There are many physicians doing breast augmentation who are not board certified plastic surgeons, or even plastic surgeons. In Houston, there are dermatologists and gynecologists who perform breast augmentation in their own surgery centers.Breast augmentation done at the same time as a breast lift is more complicated than doing each procedure separately. Even among board certified plastic surgeons, there is controversy as to doing the procedures together or in stages. I perform the procedures myself ,in most instances, as a combined procedure, but I explain to the patients that they may need a secondary procedure and often they do. I would certainly speak with a few plastic surgeons before choosing which one, and ask if you can see before and after pictures ,or speak with some of their patients.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Breast lift and implant surgeon

+1

The best way to choose a qualified breast surgeon is to check that the surgeon is board certified, that they surgeon performs the operation regularly, that he can show good results, and have patient recommendations available to you.

Board Certification and Experience

+1

Hello Syla,

Word of mouth referrals from happy patients is the best way to find a good plastic surgeon. Referrals from other physicians is also a safe bet.

If neither option works for you, I would go to surgery.org or plasticsurgery.org and begin with the "Find a Surgeon" function.

Websites today provide a great deal of information about the surgeon and before and after photos will help you decide which results appeal to you.

Speaking with patients who have had the same procedure by your surgeon will also help. Most surgeons will provide you with a contact if you ask.

Good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift surgeon

+1

Hi!

1) My website has a link to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, where you can find names of surgeons near you.

2) Go to 2 or 3 consultations.

3) Ask to see lots of before and after pictures. This is tricky surgery, and the results vary widely.

4) Ask to speak to a patient who has had a breast augmentation-lift.

5) Talk to your internist and to your gynecologist. They can tell you about a particular plastic surgeon's reputation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Implants and Breast Lift

+1

When considering breast augmentation with a mastopexy (breast lift), you should carefully choose a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in this particular type of surgery. The combination of placing an implant and performing a lift at the same time can be quite challenging, especially for a surgeon who does not perform this combination routinely.

Also, depending on your specific situation, the two procedures may need to be staged, or done in two different surgeries to ensure an optimal cosmetic outcome and to prevent wound healing complications.

William Bruno, MD

Do your homework in chosing your surgeon

+1

Syla,

First and foremost you should chose a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in the surgery you are hoping to have. You can find out initial information on their website and often by an e-mail to the practice.

Look at before and after photos on the doctor's website and this should show you some of their post-op results. Write any questions down that you have so you willremember to ask them all at your consultation.

Lastly, you need to be seen in consultation to know if you need a breast lift with augmentation. I hope this helps.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Choosing a plastic surgeon

+1

There are several things to look for in a plastic surgeon. Check board certification/eligibility, membership in plastic surgery societies, training program, and experience. You may also want to check out his/her before and after pictures to get an idea of what you like. A great place to start would be the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD