10 Days Post-Op and Breast Implants Larger Than Desired, When Will I Know the Final Size?

I am 10 days post op. Pre op I was a 34 A and now 10 days post op I fit into a 34 c bra. I was really hoping to be a full B. I got 300 silicone mod plus under the muscle I am 5 ft 3" and 120 lbs my upper body is small my ribcage measures 28 inches around. I didnt get any bruising from the surgery and am wondering if I will be able to fit into a B cup once the implants drop. I wanted only a modest change and having a c cup is more than I desire and would consider a redo to feel good in my skin

Final breast cup size after breast augmentation with breast implants

+2

It can take up to 2 years for your breasts to settle after breast augmentation with breast implants. Usually I tell my patients to wait 6 months before spending a lot of money on expensive lingerie. Sit tight because if you are merely a little to big at 10 days your breast size will probably be perfect.

Final Breast Size After Auigmentation

+2

Typically, your swelling should be gone at approximately four weeks.  If your implants are under the muscle, by then the muscle will have relaxed accepting the fact that the implant will always be there.  Personally, I never promise a cup size as this is not standardized among bra manufacturers.  i do size patients with implants inside a bra preoperatively which I accept is not perfect but, helps to give the patient an appreciation of size and input into their actual size choice.  I would also suggest that you try them our " for a few thousand miles"  if at that point you are not happy, smaller implants can be placed.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

There is still swelling at 10 days post op

+2

I am certain that you still have some swelling from your surgery.  It takes a few weeks at least for most of the swelling to go away especially when the implant is placed under the muscle.  A 300 ml implant should take you from an A to a full B/small C for the measurements you provided.  Of course, what cup size your bra will say depends on the type of bra you buy.  The more important answer is whether you like how your breasts look and how they look with respect to your body.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Size after augmentation

+2

I tell my patients that it is at least 4-6 months after their surgery before all the swelling is gone and the implants have settled. And I prefer to wait until at least 9-12 months for any revisionary surgery. So I agree with my colleagues that it is far too soon for you to evaluate your final size. They are also right to advise you not to get hung up on a size as there is far too much variation among bra manufacturers.  Wait several months and see how you feel and how you look in clothes. And in the meantime, talk to your surgeon about your worries. He or she may be able to help you understand how your swelling and healing are progressing. One of the most common complaints after an augmentation is the patient wishing she had chosen a larger implant and it sounds like you and your surgeon have avoided that problem. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and swelling

+2

At ten days out you are probably stil quite swollen. Give it a few months before you get nervous that they are too big, because they will shrink down a bit once the swelling subsides.

Final Breast Size after breast augmentation

+2

Final breast size  after breast augmentation may take as long as six to nine months to be achieved.  Initially, there is swelling of all the tissues, and the implants are tightly held.

Over time, the tissues around the implants soften and stretch, and the implants settle in a more appropriate position.  The swelling resolves, and even if the initial surgery was very quick and non-traumatic with minimal swelling, breast size after 2-3 months will be approximately 15% smaller than it was one to two weeks after surgery. That is 1/2 cup in most cases.

In addition, after a few months, the breast tissue and muscle around the implant will thin out as consequence of the "tissue expansion" effect caused by the implant themselves.  This will lead to a further decrease in breast size.

It is best to wait at least six to nine months before making final decision on breast size after breast augmentation.

Mario Diana, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Don't do anything just now, it's too soon after your augmentation

+2

300 cc implants are a pretty modest size.  You are best advised to allow time for the swelling to totally go away and for the breasts to settle.  Plastic surgeons often have patients who feel they are too big a week or two after surgery only to say they wish they had gone larger a few months later! 

Sometimes prudence is best.  Give it at least a couple months.  If you still think you are too big at that time, have them changed out for a smaller size.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Size post augmentation

+2

I think you will be okay. it is early and there is swelling and also the muscle needs to adapt to the implant. final results take 8 months. 10 days is way to early to be concerned about final size. hang in there.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

10 Days Post-op Breast Augmentation

+2

Ten days is too early to make a determination, and cup size is not the best determinant. Bra cup size is not a consistent phenomenon from manufacturer to manufacturer, thus you may still be a B in a different bra.  The key is do you like what you see in the mirror at roughly 3 months from surgery. Until then, listen to your doctor and follow their instructions.  Time will tell, but a 300cc implant is quite modest and should result in a relatively conservative outcome in most women your size. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast Augmentation Early Post-Op

+2

The first few weeks after surgery are too early to tell what your final size and appearance will be. I would advise two things: the first is to not worry about it now and stop looking at them all the time (if you are). The swelling needs to resolve and the implants need to drop into their final position, a 2-4 month process in most cases. The second piece of advice is when you get to that point, just look at yourself in clothes and a bra and decide if you are happy with your size. If you are, it doesn't matter what the tag on the bra says. Cup size is a range at best and it also depends on who makes the bra.

Joseph Fata, MD