Things to Know Before Having Breast Implants?

What should I know and consider before having a Breast augumentation? I am 20 years old and I don't know how much the surgery would cost nor what to do before and after. I am unhappy with the way that I am.

Get educated and ask questions

+1

Hi,

Do your research first and find a good board-certified plastic surgeon that has performed several breast augmentations before. It is a good idea to look at their before and after pictures and patient testimonials if available. You want to find someone who has experience, but also that you feel completely comfortable with as well. Your plastic surgeon will be able to exam you and therefore give you the best personalized advice.

There are several things to consider when thinking about getting a breast augmentation. Breast augmentation can run anywhere from $5,000-$8,000 depending on where you are having it done, anesthesia, time in OR, staff, etc. Does the office you choose offer financing? Given that you are 20 y.o, you only have the choice of saline implants because you have to be 22 y.o to get silicone, but what size is right for you?Again, your surgeon will be able to help you with this, but it is a good idea to know what you want. What type of implant do you want...smooth, textured, round, anatomical? Will the implant be placed over or under the muscle? Do you plan on having children soon or losing weight as these things can affect your breasts and could require you to have more surgeries. It is important to know the risks and commitment of the procedure as well.

Ultimately, you want to be emotionally ready. It is also important to be realistic about your possible results. While there is a high satisfaction with breast augmentations, every patient is different. You and your surgeon will discuss what degree of enhancement is achievable for you. Keep this in mind. One last thing, don't be afraid to ask any questions or express any concerns.

Best Regards.

Need to be educated

+1

Before you undergo any surgery and specially breast augmentation/implant you need to be educated about the procedure. The best person to do that is your surgeon. Therefore, choosing the right surgeon puts you on the right path. Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has a good reputation in your local area. Then ask questions about the risks and benefits of the surgery, how to do sizing, recovery expected, outcome expected, cost of the surgery - make sure it includes everything like implants, anaesthesia, facility as well as the surgeon's fees. Visit with your plastic surgeon at least 2-3 times before the surgery to get all your questions answered and to get comfortable with them and the office. You can find frequently asked questions on many sites including this one - print out a set and take with you to your consultation. Choosing the right surgeon is the most important factor.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Frequently asked questions

+1

Many board-certified plastic surgeons will post a series of commonly asked questions for their patients (I'll attach mine as a link to this message at the bottom). You are wise to be as educated as you can about the process because although it is a very commonly performed procedure every woman is different. You need to think about what changes you want to make with your breasts and at your consultation your plastic surgeon can better counsel you after examining you. Make sure that you write down your questions before your consultation so they can all be answered. Best of luck to you.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Things to consider before a breast augmentation.

+1

There is a lot to consider before undergoing this procedure. First of all, you must realize that implants are a commitment and being 20 years old, you will more than likely need additional surgeries in the future to adjust your implants. With that being said, breast augmentation has a very high satisfaction rate and is a great surgery for the right patient. Your options at this point are saline implants, as silicone implants are only recommended for those 22 years and older. You must determine whether your implants are going to be placed under or over the muscle and where the incisions will be to place them. Have a few consultations with a board certified plastic surgeon which will help educate you and help you to choose a Doctor who you feel comfortable with. Good luck!

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon