Swelling and Pain After Breast Augmentation

I'm 2 1/2 months post breast augmentation. I had a 220cc implant placed in my right breast. A week after surgery, my muscle from my nipple to my back became inflamed, red, and hot. I had four weeks antibotics. CBC came out normal. I've had searing pain on and off deep in my breast since and sore muscle underarm to back. Doctor may remove if I don't improve but thinks no infection is present. Could he be missing one?

Follow your doctor's advice

+2

Hi, it is certainly possible that you have an underlying infection that may not be manifesting itself in a typical fashion. You developed redness and pain a week after surgery, which is the usual time frame for an infection to occur. In some cases, infections can even occur months after surgery without a clear cause. I would agree that removing the implant may be the best option if you don't improve, even if your blood tests remain normal. Leaving the implant in may result in continued pain and contracture (scarring) of the tissue around the implant. Good luck and hope that everything works out.

Possible implant infection

+1

Antibiotics can sometimes suppress an infection around an implant so that you don't have the usual signs of an infection until the antibiotics are stopped.   By your time line, you may be off the antibiotics for three weeks by now...if that is true and you do not have a fever, swelling or redness, the discomfort may be caused by inflammation that is part of healing from the infection.  Close followup with your surgeon would be most appropriate for now with the implant in place.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Persistent swelling and pain of recently enlarged breasts

+1

IT is difficult to tell if you have some other sort of infection but it appears that you are being closeely followed and I would recommnend conintued close follow up.

Treating doctor versus internet doctor

+1

Without seeing you, I would say you need to trust the doctor who operated upon you and is still taking care of you. Keep seeing him in the office as this problem sorts itself out.

Good Luck and Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

I would wait another 6-8 weeks if no clinical signs of infection are present.

+1

I would give yourself at least four months to see if the pain resolves. Some patients with uncomplicated breast augmentation may have mild pains on and off for the first 4-6 months. If there is no current redness and no signs of clinical infection, you should try everything you can to keep the implant in! 

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon