Breast Implants Perfectly in Place Just a Week After Surgery?

Is it possible for my Breast implants to not be sitting very high only one week after surgery, and for that not to be the result of a problem? They look fabulous!

The time for healing depends on how the breast must adapt

+3

After breast augmentation we are asking the breast to adapt to a new shape and volume according to the implant selected. Sometimes the existing breast will fit over the implant like a glove and the result can be very soft and natural from the start. There are other instances however where we are asking a lot from the existing breast. Perhaps we wish to push the volume from an A to a C or possibly a small D cup. Or perhaps the natural breast has tightness along the fold underneath which we wish to expand and fill out with the new implant. In these cases there must be a melding together of the breast and breast implant, what we call a "marriage" between the two. Such changes take time to allow the tissues to work in, for the breast to soften, or for the implant to relax downward.

Most breast implants are not "high" after augmentation. If the implant is properly placed it should look well from the start, unless of course the natural breast fold is tight and needs to relax as I have mentioned. An implant can be high if the fold is not adequately released, or become so later on if a capsule contracture sets in. Your surgeon should know the difference and help you through.

peterejohnsonmd

Implants can look perfect after a week... but normally it takes longer

+2

Thanks for your question. As plastic surgeons, we aim to get things 100% perfect at the time of surgery. With breast implant surgery, I warn all my patients that the implants can take a while to "drop" into a good position in a period of weeks. I'm glad to hear that yours are perfect now - this doesn't mean that they will "drop" into a bad position, just that you obviously have a good PS! Well done both of you!

Damian Marucci, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Maturation

+2

Most breast implant patients take longer than a week to have their implanted breasts look good, but some patients, particularly those who had had a few children prior to surgery and/or chose smaller implant sizes, can look good earlier.

Congratulations and Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Great that you're pleased with you breast implants after a week

+2

Hi,

Thank you for your question!

Every patient is different. It may take some patients months to see what their final results are. It is great that you are pleased with your results at just a week after surgery. That is the ideal situation for every patient. Breast implants can change throughout the next few months, but some patients don't change much at all. Therefore, this is no indication that this was the result of a problem. Enjoy your new look.

Sam Speron, MD

Good for you

+2

Yes, breast implants can be perfect right away and can stay that way. You are fortunate. Breast implants can and do change and in most cases if they are high they come down, but sometimes they don't. Being perfect right off the bat has no prediction of what will happen with time but in my experience it is a good sign.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Great early breast augmentation results

+1

This is entirely possible and is what we all strive for in every case. Sometimes the implants sit high under the muscle after surgery and in some patients the implants stay right where you had placed them during surgery. This is usually patient dependent and not as muc surgeon dependent - so consider yourself lucky to have good tissue and to have gone to a good surgeon!

Be happy!

Brian S. Glatt, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Yes this is possible and long term results depend on several factors

+1

Yes it is very possible.

This is more likely when the implants are placed OVER the muscle in which case they tend to fill a loose skin envelope.

If they are placed UNDER the muscle, it is possible that they will continue to settle.

In this latter case, I tend to recommend that patients wear a supportive bra cup for 6 weeks x 24hrs x 7 days to minimize the potential to bottom out.

Implants should always look good right after surgery.

+1

Hi!

It's wonderful that you have a great result. That's not a problem. That's the way it should be.

It is a myth that implants are supposed to "drop". In New York, I sit breast augmentation patients up on the operating table before the end of surgery (you are still aleep, of course) to make sure that the breasts look great. Otherwise, we keep working.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Implant position at 1 week post-op

+1

If you are implants look fabulous at 1 week, then that is great!  Some patients have loose skin envelopes and the implants just sit right from the get go.    Most primary breast implants especially when placed under the muscle will ride a bit high for a few months and then settle in to place.

You can have a great result soon after breast augmentation

+1

Yes, it is possible to be very happy with the result soon after surgery. We strive to make a perfect "pocket" for the implant during the operation. Your implant will lie in that pocket. If the pocket is too large, then the implant can move around the pocket and you can have an unnatural result. It is less common, in fact, to have a high-riding implant in most cases.

Some patients have a skin envelope that is too tight to fit a large implant. Those patients will typically have a higher-riding implant since the tissue needs to relax for that implant to settle. However, if you are happy with your result right off the bat, BE HAPPY and enjoy the new you!

Sirish Maddali, MD