How Much Do Breast Implants Cost?

I would like to get breast implants but before i do i would like to know about breast augmentation prices.  How much do breast implants cost?

Cost of breast implants.

+1

Thank you for your question.  It can be deeply frustrating when considering breast augmentation to compare apples to apples when looking at pricing.  Prices vary widely even in my own community.  I guess the best way to approach this question is to tell you how I approach the major decisions I make in my own life.  I am personally wary of a price that is way too high or price that is way too low.  Ultimately, it is most important to me to like the person that I am dealing with and have respect for that person.  As you look it plastic surgeons I would suggest to you that price be a secondary factor.  Make sure that you trust and respect that person's experience and credentials and don't let a couple of $ either way make the decision.  When in doubt meet with a few surgeons to see which one hears you the best and gives you honest expectations.  Best wishes.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Pricing for Breast Augmentation

+9
The prices for breast augmentation can vary, sometimes significantly. Start by looking at before and after images to determine whether or not a plastic surgeon shares your aesthetic sensibilities. I have attached a link to my gallery below. Then, consider the following:
The most expensive surgeon may or may not be the ideal surgeon for you. "Lowball" or discount  pricing may often be an attempt to fill an empty O.R. schedule, which should be a concern.   Or a very low price may not be the inclusive cost of surgery.   

Most any surgeon can surgically implant a breast implant. But, not every plastic surgeon can consistently perform breast augmnetation surgery in a manner that leaves a woman with a very natural and beautiful result.

In my  practice, the price for breast augmentation is all inclusive but it depends on the type of implant used. This price includes all pre and post-operative visits, pain management, a body garment, board certified anesthesiologist, operating room charges., etc.

When considering breast augmentation surgery, I believe that the
most important question for a prospective patient to ask themselves is this: Am I seeking a natural-appearing result? If the answer is yes, then seek out a surgeon who has the same aesthetic sensibility that you have (and appropriate training and experience). And insist on seeing `before and after' photos. A lot of them.  

I want for my patient's appearance to make others think "Wow - what a great figure", not "I wonder who her plastic surgeon is".
It is important to discuss the following with your plastic surgeon, and research yourself this information before selecting a plastic surgeon
1. Cohesive silicone gel vs. saline breast implants, or shaped, form stable breast implants
2. How many cc's? 
3. Incision locations
4. Subpectoral vs prepectoral implant position
5. Attention to detail in breast augmentation
6. Breast augmentation after pregnancy
7. Special considerations: asymmetry, tuberous/constricted breasts, etc
8. Recovery and downtime
9. Avoiding capsular contracture
10.Revisional breast augmentation surgery
11) Will fat grafting be used to add volume or provide correction

Please do not make your decision on the plastic surgeon based on who has the lowest price without looking at the whole picture and taking your time researching to find the right plastic surgeon for you. Always, ask to see many, many photographs, speak to patients and ask your own physician about any plastic surgeon you are considering. 

Some physicians promote low priced breast augmentation, only for a patient to discover that the price is for only one type of implant, with one type of incision. This may not be appropriate for all patients. Then, the "bait and switch" ensues. A different implant will cost more, pain control will cost more. An anesthesiologist will cost more, if an MD anesthesiologist is even an option. Then, just like buying a used car, the price will shift from the total price to monthly payments with a financing plan that could be very regrettable. This is a huge red flag. If these kinds of tactics are used, you, as a consumer should be very concerned. 

Of course, be sure your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and ideally is a member of The American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 

I perform many breast augmentation revision surgeries. The overwhelming majority of patients I see for revisions feel regret for not taking more time checking the background, training, results and safety record of the physician who performed their original surgery. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants prices vary widely

+8

There are wide variations in the prices for breast augmentation surgery. The differences are geographic and also based on the cost of operating a facility in a given region as well as on the experience and demand for the particular doctor.

This is a free market situation and there are no regulations or restrictions on the pricing. There are also wide variations in the quality of results and the level of service provided from one doctor to another. Remember that no 2 doctors are the same and your result will differ from one doctor to the next.

It is much more expensive to try to fix a bad result than to get it done properly the first time. So make breast augmentation prices a part of your decision process, but definitely not the top priority. In the Seattle area, the cost ranges from about $5000 to $7500.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Pricing

+6

The price for breast augmentation will vary depending on the location and availability of the surgeon. Younger surgeons are usually more available and will charge lower prices. Although with the economy being slower some more experienced surgeons may be charging less as well. I typically charge $6,250 for saline and $8,000 for silicone. My recommendation would be to look at before and after photos and see if you like the work and see if the doctor has several examples of breast augmentation if that is the procedure you are interested in.

David E. Kim, MD

How Much Do Breast Implants Cost?

+6

My 2010 fee for a Breast Augmentation (not including the implants) is 2,650 dollars. I purposefully set my charge to be both affordable in the Memphis market and competitive when compared to the significantly higher national charges for the same operation. According to The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the 2009 average American Plastic surgeon’s fee for a Breast Augmentation (not including the implants) was 3,331 dollars.

You should also be aware that different Plastic surgeons’ professional fees may cover different things. My fee covers your initial Consultation, up to 3 pre-operative visits, the cosmetic surgery professional fee and follow-up for 1 year after your surgery. Make sure you understand what your surgeon’s fee will pay for.
There is a large multi-factorial variation in Plastic Surgery prices. For your safety, stay away from both very low and high price extreme.

TWO IMPORTANT FACTS TO REMEMBER:
An overinflated price does NOT guarantee quality
and an unreasonably bargain basement low price is never a bargain but frequently is a gamble on your safety and well-being
.

Price extremes in Cosmetic Surgery are intentionally set to attract very 2 very different groups of people.
Extravagant Plastic Surgery prices are INTENDED to suck in 2 groups of people: the “label snobs”(those who either enjoy proving their worth by over-spending on everything) and those yearning to reach Hollywood’s supposed elite through Cosmetic Surgery (“I want a Facelift by Dr. X because he operated on startlet 1, starlet 2 and we think starlet 3…”). Ridiculous high prices (“If you need to ask – you can’t afford me” Plastic Surgery) are also meant to bring in those who do not want to do their research; The “If he charges so much, he MUST be good” school of thinking individuals. Many surgeons intentionally charge huge fees to over-inflate their attractiveness to these spend-happy individuals who assume that excellence must be expensive.

Extreme Plastic Surgery bargains are INTENDED to draw in 2 different groups of people: First, are individuals who cannot afford cosmetic surgery but are insistent on getting it anyway by focusing on bargain basement prices rather surgeon training and experience. The other group is the shoppers – We all know them. People who, regardless of their income, never met a bargain they could walk away from (The garage sale, Priceline.com centered, the coupon wallet carrying, “Is this your best price?” shopper).

When SHOPPING FOR A “DEAL” WHAT RED FLAGS SHOULD YOU LOOK FOR?
The TOTAL cost of Cosmetic Surgery is made up of 3 components; the surgeon’s fee, anesthesia charges and facility charges. There is no free lunch. Most of the time, you are getting what you pay for. An amazingly low fee usually means that one or more of these components has been compromised and that you are taking a risk.

Cheap Plastic Surgery should raise safety concerns and each of these 3 components deserves your careful consideration.
- SURGEON’S FEE – The surgeon’s fee is based on geographic factors (with higher fees being common in major cities such as New York, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles etc) and on the experience of the surgeon doing the surgery (less experienced surgeons may charge a lot less). Finally, with the current state of the economy many surgeons lowered their fees.

Plastic Surgery is an expensive occupation. Quality Plastic Surgery graduate training is very competitive and hard to get into requiring an excellent academic record and years of hard work in medical school and preceding residencies. Plastic Surgery training is also the longest training in American Graduate Medical Education. Real Plastic surgeons accumulate a lot of debt during their long years of training. Moreover, the cost of running a Plastic Surgery office is higher than many other specialties. This financial burden is then added to a high pre-existing educational debt which must be paid off.

As a result, real board-certified and experienced Plastic surgeons (ASPS members) will usually charge more than wannabe doctors who are NOT certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). (These other “Plastic surgeons” are a large group made up of doctors who never formally trained in a Plastic surgery residency and who literally practice Plastic Surgery. (They have either certified in other specialties (such as gynecology, Family practice, ER Medicine, Internal Medicine etc) and may be certified by commercial non-American Board of Medical Specialties Boards-ABMS), or are practicing medicine illegally (either foreign unlicensed doctors or not doctors at all)).

To FULLY understand the real meaning of Board Certification and who your doctor may really be, please follow the link below.

It is EASY to separate real Plastic surgeons from the others. Find out
1. Is he/she certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS)?

2. Does he/she have unlimited Plastic Surgery privileges at one or more local hospital? Not having hospital privileges in Plastic Surgery (i.e. being allowed to practice Plastic Surgery) in a local hospital is very worrisome and should raise many red flags. It may mean that for several reasons (such as deficient or improper training, past legal history or ethical issues) the hospital refused to expose itself to lawsuits by having your surgeon operate on its staff. You should seriously reconsider having your surgery with this physician.

- ANESTHESIA FEE – An inordinately cheap anesthesia fee should be another red flag. It means your anesthesia will be poor and/ or provided by an under- or poorly trained individual.

Your comfort and safety are important. For patient comfort and surgical accuracy, the vast majority of Plastic surgeons prefer to perform Breast Augmentation under general anesthesia.

Generally speaking, anesthesia for Breast Augmentation anesthesia can be given by:
1. Your surgeon (cheapest, least effective - NOT a good idea). The vast majority of Plastic surgeons prefer doing Breast Augmentation surgery under general anesthesia because of its safety, accuracy and comfort of the patient. When a doctor performs his Breast augmentations under local anesthesia in his office surgery room it may mean that local anesthesia may be the ONLY choice of anesthesia he can offer because of his training, board certification and issues in his past, he is not allowed to operate in a local hospital or surgery center.

By having surgery under such conditions, you will be subjecting yourself to a surgeon which the local hospital is not willing to risk exposing its patients to. Is this really a great deal? Think long and hard.

2. A nurse anesthetist (CRNA) – which must be supervised by a doctor. Or

3. Doctor (anesthesiologist).
Either of the last two anesthesia choices is acceptable. The last one is definitely the best. Some people prefer the increased safety (and cost) of having a MD (anesthesiologist) providing their anesthesia.

- FACILITY (OPERATING ROOM) CHARGES – A really cheap facility should be another red flag. It may signify the room your procedure is done in is not equipped properly and may not adhere to national standards of safety and sterility. For your safety make sure YOUR operating room facility is either MEDICARE or AAAASF certified. These organizations perform inspections and demand high standards of safety and performance. However, maintaining and complying with such Federal and State regulations is expensive
While having surgery in a Medicare or AAAASF certified operating room is much safer than having your surgery done in a non-certified facility, this safety comes with a higher price tag. This increased safety comes at a price. Is YOUR safety and well being worth taking a risk for? Saving on?

Having Plastic Surgery is VERY much like flying a plane. Your safety depends on having an experienced, well trained pilot (i.e. a real Plastic surgeon), an experienced navigator (anesthesia provider) and flying (or having your surgery) in a well-maintained, inspected and cared for airplane (certified operating room facility).
In summary, do you REALLY know your pilot? Do you trust your plane? Choose wisely!

Now you know everything you should know when evaluating Plastic Surgery fees and charges.

Good Luck in your journey for self-improvement.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Cost of Breast Implants in Alabama

+6

Our basic breast implant costs are $3000 for saline and $3800 for silicone. This price may vary based on individual needs of a patient. Prices do vary depending on the location you have the surgery performed. A free consultation would be needed to obtain a more exact price quote.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation cost

+4

Breast augmentation has become more affordable in recent years. Without additional treatment, total costs (OR, anesthesia, implants, etc.) for my patients is $3,750 for saline and $4,750 for silicone augmentation. This price will typically vary from region-to-region.

Michael L. Spann, MD
Little Rock Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation cost depends on where you live

+4
Remember that you are paying for a service, and in major metro areas like LA, San Fran, New York, etc, just like a cheeseburger, it costs more. While the product itself, the implant ,is about the same from doctor to doctor and city to city, the doctor's overhead is different, and the "going rate" changes.
Do yourself a favor though and don't price shop. You're not buying a car; i.e. a Toyota Camry is the same whether you buy it from Car Dealer A or Car Dealer B. The difference in your "service" when receiving medical care can vary greatly from office to office, so other criteria are much more important.
You would do well to keep in mind this quote from John Ruskin:
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

BBA Fees

+3

The fees for a breast augmentation will vary based on your geographical area, the implant type, the facility where the procedure is performed, and the type of anesthesia. In Columbus, Ohio  The Sullivan Centre's  breast augmentation fees range from $5800-$6925.  Best wishes! 

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant costs

+3

You will find that prices for various types of operations vary by region of the country. In Santa Barbara, breast implant surgery usually costs between $5500 and $7000 depending on what type of implant is used. This price represents the entire cost, including all pre- and post-operative care, the surgery, the implants, the anesthesia, and the use of our operating room.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon