Breast Augmentation Safe for Someone with Heart Murmur and Minor Seizures?

I have a heart murmur and I take Lamictal for minor seizures. Will this be a problem if I am considering getting breast implants? This is the only thing holding me back.

Medical Conditions and Breast Augmentation

+1
As long as your neurologist and internist  or cardiologist feels it is safe then it should be safe to go ahead with a breast augmentation. Antibiotics are given as a routine so an asymptomatic heart murmur is rarely a problem.

Medical clearance for cosmetic surgery

+1

You've raised an important point in plastic surgery.  Make sure your cardiologist and neurologist have cleared you for surgery before having anything done.  It sounds as though you should be okay, but it's better to be safe than sorry!  Good luck

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation and Anesthesia

+1

The risk is definitely increased. This is secondary to the anesthesia and not per se the breast augmentation itself, eventhough they both go hand in hand. What you will need to do is to get your cardiologist and neurologist on board and let them know about your plan to undergo breast augmentation.

They would need to evaluate you and get you ready for surgery and essentially give the clearance to proceed or not to proceed with the surgery.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast augmentation for patient with medical issues

+1

Breast augmentation can be performed in a patient with a murmur and minor seizures as long as they can obtain medical clearance from their medical doctor.

Ensure optimal health management prior to elective surgery.

+1

In most situations the anesthesiologist will request that you see your cardiologist and neurologist or physician managing your seizures to ensure that you are in optimal health prior to undergoing the procedure. Generally this is a very limited operation requiring 1 hour of general anesthesia.

Breast Augmentation with Murmur

+1

Most surgeons have performed procedures on patients with heart murmurs and/or minor seizures, as long as they have been controlled, with little increase in risks.  As long as your plastic surgeon, anesthesiologist and neurologist concur that it is safe, you should feel quite comfortable in proceeding.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery is a safe surgery with proper preparation

+1

As long as your plastic surgeon and the anesthesiologist are aware of your medical history, you should be able to have breast augmentation. Your plastic surgeon may ask you to get a medical clearance from your primary care physicians as well as any specialists such as a neurologist.

This is an elective surgery and you want to achieve the results you are after in the safest manner possible.

Discuss all of your past medical history with the plastic surgeon you chose to care for you.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation with medical problems

+1

Good question. Something you should be speaking to your internist and neurologist about. We as plastic surgeons have our expertise while they have theirs. Usually a minor murmur is not a problem such as mitral valve prolapse. This concern should be discussed with your medical doctor or cardiologist. You can be evaluated for surgery from their standpoint. They may want you done in a hospital. The same is true with the neurologist and your lamictal, a commonly used drug now a days.

Plastic surgeons don't work in a vacuum, but with our medical and surgical colleagues to give you the best and the safest results.

I hope this helps you.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Medical clearance!

+1

Heart murmurs could be very benign or require further attention. Only a clearance by your primary doctor or cardiologist will be able to tell. Same applies to minor seizures,the ultimate treatment for seizures is general anaesthesia but it is important to rule out any condition or drug that would lower your threshold. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS