Breast Implants for Diabetics?

How will a sudden and significant weight gain caused by diabetes influence my eligibility for breast implants?

Diabetes and breast augmentation

+1

Weight fluctuations certainly can impact the overall look of implants. But mroe importantly with diabetes, until it is well controlled, surgery shoudl be delayed.

Diabetes and breast implants

+1

There are two issues:

Firstly, diabetes need to be well controlled before any planned surgery. Otherwise, you will have a high risk of infection and other complications.

Secondly, please wait until your weight has stabilised to get the best result from any cosmetic procedure.

One the diabetes and the body weight is stable, there is no reason why you can't have breast implants.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes and breast implants

+1

Like for any surgical procedure, one must be medically optimized. If diabetes is "brittle," the condition needs to be stabilized with the assistance of a primary care doctor or endocrinologist, through diet and/or medication. If the Hemoglobin A1C and glucose levels stabilize, as does weight, that is the more optimal time to pursue breast augmentation surgery. Weight gain and loss impact breast size, so chosing the best implant size for the long term depends on stability of weight.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Diabetics and Breast Augmnetation

+1

It is certainly safe for you to have a breast augmentation as a diabetic as long as your  diabetes is under good control.  If there are underlying medical problems that need to be resolved it is best to wait on elctive surgery of any kind until you are in your best health.  You may want to see if there are other factors contributing to your weight gain so as to reverse the upward trend.  If you would like to have a breast enlargement you will likely be able to.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Breast Implants for Diabetics?Answer:

+1

It really is more the weight gain than the diabetes that would suggest that you wait. That is assuming you are in fairly good control of your blood sugars. With a lot of fluctuation in weight it’s hard for your doctor to accurately pick your implant size. We all do cosmetic surgery on diabetics and it can be done very safely but I would wait until you are within 10-15 lb. of where you want to be weight-wise…

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug is ok for diabetics.

+1

Diabetes is not the" don't go there" disease it was once thought to be; Naturally to under go any surgery, the patient would present in the best shape possible. This includes keeping ones weight under tight controll, having a balanced blood sugar and being able to take the prophylactic antibiotic of choice in advace of the surgery.

William D. Merkel, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

Diabetics and surgery

+1

I would recommend that you see your Endocrinologist first to determine if your health, weight and blood sugars are optimized regardless of your planned surgery.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant surgery in a diabetic patient

+1

I agree that it is important for your weight to be stable.  I perform many different surgeries on diabetic patients,.

There are more risks but it is not forbidden

Breast Implants with diabetes

+1

Breast augmentation is very safe for a diabetic as long as the diabetes is under good control and the patient is medically stable.  Any one that is having sudden weight changes is not a good candidate for elective surgery, especially breast augmentation.  I would recommend that you get your weight and diabetes under control before considering breast augmentation surgery.

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes and Breast Augmentation

+1

Generally, it is in patients' best interests  to be at a long-term “stable weight” prior to undergoing any type of plastic  surgical procedure. This will maximize the chances of achieving the patient's desired results and minimize chances of further surgery will be become necessary  in the event of weight loss or gain that occurs after the procedure is performed.

It will also be important that your diabetes be well controlled preferably documented by your physician who manages the diabetes.