Regretting Decision to Get Breast Implants

I am regretting my decision to get breast implants. I wish I had done a breast lift only and skipped the implant. I feel trapped in "them" and like something foreign is sitting on my chest. My ultimate look would have been the "perky" breasts (size B) that I had, with just a lift. I do not fault my doctor, she felt she had achieved the look I was desiring without further scarring. I am scheduled to go back for the lift portion next week. I am seriously considering removing the implant. Should I give it more time?

Breast lift versus breast implant surgery

+3

If you just had implants placed, I suggest waiting several months before considering a lift or even removal of the implants. To perform a breast lift while the breasts are still swollen from breast implant surgery, may not give you the desired lift that you want.

I recommend waiting several more months before having any more surgery.

+3

Hi! I have seen women in your situation several times. Usually, when the breast implants feel weird from the beginning, women end up having them removed. But wait a few months until you are sure.

If you still feel trapped in them in another few months, then have them removed, and just have a breast lift. You only need a lollypop scar, which heals well.

How the breast lift is done is very, very important. The lift cannot rely on tightening the skin, because skin stretches, and the breasts will sag again. To create a long lasting perky shape, the breasts have to be lifted INTERNALLY with buried stitches. I have a video on this.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Adjustment for implants

+3

There definitely is an adjustment time for implants, both physiologically and emotionally. Your "final" result may not be evident for six months as the healing process progesses and your soft tissue adapts to the mass of the implant. Implant usually look and feel more and more natural (depending on the surgery of course) as time goes on. There is also an emotional adaptation that occurs at the end of which the implant and the resulting look becomes a natural part of the patient's persona and she does not think about the surgery at all. This may take a few weeks or it may never occur. Scars of lifts are permanent while implants can be removed.

Whether you are better off without the implant, or without the implant and a lift, or with the implant and a lift should be discussed carefully. Judicious taping of the breast skin might give you and your surgeon an idea of what to achieve with your current situation.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

It takes some time to get used to your new look

+3

I don't know how far out you are from the augmentation, but I certainly wouldn't rush into anything. We see this with both breast augmentation and reduction patients. There is frequently a period akin to "buyer's remorse" when the patient may regret their decision.

Remember, you have likely lived with your previous size breasts for quite a while, so it will take time to get used to your new size. If you were motivated enough to go through with the procedure in the first place, it sounds like you should give it a chance before you abandon the process.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Do not rush to judgement until you had had your lift

+2

Many patients who get breast augmentation, or breast reconstruction, surgery feel different after getting implants. Due to the the new changes your body is experiencing, it will take some time to get use to the new feelings (mentally and physically) you are experiencing.

After several weeks/ months, almost all patients get use to having implants and begin to accept them as a part of themselves. With time, they will look more natural and become a part of you.

Remember, time is on your side. If after several months you still feel the same,way, you can always have them removed. Whatever you decide, be comfortable with your decision.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely give it more time

+2

Without a doubt as long as you are healing well you should give yourself a chance to heal to get used to the change in your body.

It's the rare patient that decides down the road that implants arene't for them and they have them removed.

Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Need more time to determine if breast implant volume is right for you

+2

You did not mention how long it has been since your original breast augmentation surgery but it is not unusual for a woman to have problems with adjusting to a new breast implant size or any change to their body shape. There have been many studies performed that show a 3 - 6 month period to adapt to a new body image. Most would suggest that you give it more time. Think back on your original ideas about breast augmentation. What areas were you attempting to improve, size in general, shape, upper pole fullness or contour. If you still have some breast sagging then it is possible that you did not achieve your original goal for shape improvement. In the end you may decide that an improved shape is all you were trying to accomplish and not an increase in volume.

Wait, wait , and wait after breast augmentation

+2

It takes a while for all of us to adjust to a change in our bodies. Give it three to six months to get used to the implants. You may find they're just fine and then you won't have the scars of the lift.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Give breast implant results a few months or so

+1

Early after breast implant surgery patients often have misgivings about size. Unless you are absolutely sure you don't like the size and shape, I would advise you wait a few months at least to allow things to settle.

This is of course your call to make with your surgeon.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon