Normal for Subglandular Implants to Distort when Flexing?

I got 200cc Silicone gel Breast Implants 8 days ago, placed above the muscle. They look very natural when I'm relaxed, but when I flex my pecs (even lightly), they move noticeably apart. I have fairly well developed pecs, which is why I decided to put them above the muscle. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to reduce the movement? The movement on one side is more pronounced than the other, and seems to "squeeze" the implant sideways away from my breastbone and gives the inside edge a squarish shape.

Speak with your surgeon as part of the implant may be beneath the muscle or fascia

+1

It is hard to know exactly what is occuring without an exam, but it sounds like part of your implant MAY be beneath the muscle.  This could also just be due to some swelling and the normal healing process, but speak with your surgeon about what was exactly done during the procedure.

This is a bit unusual

+1

Generally, the "active breast" deformity occurs with submuscular implants and those above the muscle with a capsular contracture where the scar attaches itself more to the muscle and makes the implant move when the muscle flexes. You are too early to worry about this and when your doctor starts your implant massage program, it will probably go away.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Possibly under the fascia

+1

It is possible that your plastic surgeon placed your implants under what is called the fascia (pronounced fashia) which is a thin tissue that is attached to the chest muscle and may cause some movement or distortion early on but this should decrease with time. If your implants seperate a lot with muscle flexion you may want to again verify with your plastic surgeon that they are above the muscle too. You are very early in your recovery.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Breast surgery: Very early and quite normal for this point

+1

This is not typical for subglandular placement. However, you are very early after surgery and your breast pocket is likely swollen and tight. This can cause the muscle movement to be translated to and distort your breast implant.

As your capsule forms, you will likely develop a softening of this effect. In my patients I strongly encourage breast implant displacement exercises to promote larger looser implant capsules. This is kind of similar to doing lunges when you pull youra tight blue jeans out of the dryer to make them feel more loose and comfortable on. Of course, this is my recommendation and one with which your surgeon may not agree. Discuss this with your surgeon.

I am in the process of developing a video to show patients how to do the breast implant displacement excercises.

Movement of breast implants with pectoral flexing

+1

It's way to early to assess your result, but several things may be causing the movement.

Some implants have attachment tabs which can be fixed to the pectoralis fascia, or the implants may be textured and are gripping the fascia. It is also possible that they are partially subpectoral. Your plastic surgeon will be able to clear this up.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Distortion more common in submuscular implants

+1

Almost every implant that is submuscular will distort when flexing the pectoralis muscles since the muscle compresses the implant. This is less predictable with subglandular implants. They should act more natural, but are still connected to some degree to the muscle through the capsule and perhaps more so with textured implants. Dynamic changes that occur, as with flexing the muscles, are nearly impossible to control which is why we judge results more commonly by static photos.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Eight days is too early to make any judgments.

+1

Hello

Eight days is too early to make any judgments. In many women with no implants, there is movement of the breasts when they flex their muscles. The breasts are attached to the pectoralis muscle so movement of the breasts when flexing is not a surprise.

Did you flex your muscles in front of a mirror and analyze the movement of your breasts beforehand?

Allow all swelling to resolve and then re-evaluate. Keep your surgeon posted on your concerns. Usually it takes a couple of months for everything to settle. Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon