Are Breast Implants Safe for Patients with Chronic Lung Infections?

Are Breast implants safe for me as I have chronic lung infections and psuedomonas? I am constantly on long regimen of antibiotics similar to cystic fibrosis patients.

My reason for wanting Breast implants is that I have very small, 34A breasts and a protruding pigeon chest; however, I'm concerned that I'm taking a big risk as I've heard that fungi and bacteria build up in or around these implants and that if they leak it's like dumping a toxic load into your system which could be life threatening for me.

Chronic lung infections and breast implants

+3

You have the cart before the horse. It is far more likely that one of your lung infections could infect your implants than the reverse.

Infection in breast implants is a fairly rare occurence, and fungal infections are even more rare. You may have read something about a few cases many years ago of fungus in saline implants. Although there may still be fungus infected saline implants out there the filling and insertion techniques have changed radically. It is very unlikely now.

If implants are important to you, I would go ahead. It sounds as if every time your lungs are acting up you go on antibiotics. The only times I have seen implants become infected was after extensive dental work without antibiotics.

Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Chronic lung infections and implants

+1

I do not think that if you have chronic lung infections that placing a foreign body like bresat implants would be a good idea.

+1

I would be very concerned about placing implants due to the high likelihood or recurrent bacteremia as well as bacterial antibiotic resistance due to your repeated prescriptions.

Breast Implants in patients with chronic lung infections

+1

Dear Lovelife33,

Breast implants like all other implants such as pacemakers, defibrillators, catheters, shunts, artificial blood vessels, heart valves, artificial joints etc are dependent on our body's ability to tolerate them and NOT INFECT THEM (not the other way around).

Remember - each one of these implants comes out of sterile packaging which contains NO living organisms. Once it is in the body, whatever floats in our blood vessels can reach the implant, attach to it and "seed" it.

We have long known that deformed heart valves are more prone to becoming infected and that is why we treat some people with heart murmurs (as well as many people with various implants) with a dose of antibiotics before procedures that cause bacteria to appear in the blood stream (dental procedures, catheter placements etc).

In your case, the ever present pseudomonas is not as lethal (unless your immunity is suppressed) as it is persistent and hard to eradicate.

Placing ANY implant in you, would have a higher rate of failure since your blood frequently contains this bacteria. It may easily attach itself to the implant resulting in an infection that could not be eradicated without the removal of the implants.

Sorry to disappoint you. I hope this was helpful.

Breast implants on chronic lung infection patient is questionable

+1

In your case, implants might be more likely to become infected than in someone else. I am not so sure that this is a reasonable risk. Maybe discuss this with your infectious disease doctor prior to going further.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon