Breast Implants After Removing Freckle on Chest?

I am planning on getting breast implants this year. I've recently had a freckle removed from my chest and don't know how long to wait before I have to stretch the skin with implants.

Scars take a year to mature

+1

Scars take a year to mature. However, even if you wait that full year there is still the possibility that the scar will widen after the implants have been placed. Scars never reach the strength of normal skin. Scars only get to 80% of normal skin strength and this is achieved by 6 weeks after surgery.

So in reality I would wait 4-6 months before proceeding.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

How long ago was the freckle removed?

+1

If you had the freckle removed recently (within a month) and it was removed by shaving it off, or "freezing" it off, and if there is no evidence of a cancer, then you should be safe to proceed with breast augmentation. If it was removed recently (within a month) and it was removed by cutting the skin and stitching it back together), you are at a slight risk for that wound to open up. After one month, it doesn't really matter.

This is what I tell my patients, but it is really based on what was done, how long ago, and what your surgeon thinks is safe for you. Good luck!

Sirish Maddali, MD

Freckle removed from chest prior to breast implants

+1

It  depends on how big it was.  I have taken small moles off patients while I perform a breast augmentation. In general it is no big deal. The scar usually heals fine.

No sooner than 3 months

+1

Freckles don't typically have to be removed and a scar on your chest, the area between your breasts, is an area prone to giving a more noticible scar after it heals. If your plastic surgeon or dermatologist feels as though it is a potential skin cancer, they will recommend a biospy. I would make sure though before you undergo the procedure. Depending on where the scar is and how it is healing, I would advise waiting at least 3 months before stressing the helaing scar with breast augmentation. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

How was the freckle removed?

+1

Anon,

The answer to your question is somewhat dependent on how the freckle was removed. If it was surgically excised and stitches were used to close, then the scar needs to fully strengthen before stretching it. Scars reach their maximum strength at about 6 weeks and at that only reach 80% of intact skin strength. So, any time after 6 weeks will likely give you the same effect on the freckle scar. If it was burned off or scraped off you can probably proceed at any time. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Wait 6 months after incision on chest skin before having breast implant surgery

+1

The skin of the chest area forms notoriously bad scars. This is because of the constant movement of the chest with breathing. Chest scars tend to become wide and very frequently become red and raised.

Normal incisions stay red to pink for an average of 7 months.

If your chest scar heals completely and without a red scar i would be comfortable doing a breast augmentation after 6 months if the scar has turned white and is stable (no irritation.

Subpectoral breast augmentation would also be my preference if there is a significant new scr on the overlying chest skin.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Give scar 3-4 months prior to subjecting it to stress.

+1

Generally, 3-4 months is sufficient time for the skin to settle prior to contemplating additional surgery that will stretch the scar.

Generally the worst area of tenision is the upper half of the breast or the pre-sternal (breast bone area).