Advice for Breast Implant Size After Capsulectomy?

I am 5'5", 108 lbs, 13.5 34A. I have silicone Dow Corning breast implants for the past 20 years. I am having capsulectomies on both. I have seen many doctors and almost all of them said 500 cc hp. I want 421 cc or 457 cc or 450 hp. Mine are under the muscle. I don't have a lot of tissue as I am thin, but all these doctors say 500 cc hp. Why? Will I be concaved after the old ones are taken out with loose skin?

Breast implant size after capsulectomy

+2

I think your doctors are recommending 500 cc implants to make up not only for the stretched skin, but also for the thinning of the breast tissue that occurs after 20 years of having breast implants. I do not have the benefit of your photographs, but I have an idea of the problems that will be corrected, especially if there is a significant capsular contracture. In order to remove the capsule, replace the implants, and get a good cosmetic result, more then likely a larger implant will be necessary. The larger implant will help fill the stretched skin, make up for the thinning of the breast tissue, and fill the gap between your contracted breasts better than a smaller implant.

I counsel all my patients to not be fixated on a particular implant size. The best implant is whatever looks good regardless of the size. For that reason I usually use sizers during this procedure.

Good luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Capsulectomy and removal of implants

+1

Once you hae capsulectomy and remove the implants, you more than likely will be loose bags of skin.  I could not tell you what size implant would be best for you without an exam.

Advice for Breast Implant Size After Capsulectomy

+1

Advice for Breast Implant Size After Capsulectomy: there is very little difference between 450-500 cc.

Breast implant size after capsulectomy

+1

Do you know the size of the implants that you currently have in place? How do they look? The implants you mention for replacement are pretty large relative to those that were placed 20 years ago. Then again after capsulectomy you will be minus some tissue as well as the implants you have in there now.

The answer here would depend upon how thin you are and where you would like to end up breast cup size-wise. If you have had any breast imaging I would review that and try to figure your best options between that and your examination.

Have a good long talk with your surgeon on this one before you have surgery.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Implant size after capsulectomy

+1

If you are a 34 A with implants already in than they must be rather small in size to begin with. The space that the implant has to fill always becomes larger after a capsulectomy so that is why the general recommendation is to go somewhat bigger. I like using a sizer implant intraoperatively to see what best fits the "pocket" and comes closest to fulfilling my patient's desires. In my opinion, the Natrelle style 20 implant has the best diameter/volume ratio and is my most popular implant.

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants after capsulectomy

+1

It is difficult to size a patient accurately under these circumstances. Sizing depends on your desired look afterwards (natural vs. obvious), your chest width, and your breast ptosis, among other factors. You can have smaller implants as long as you are willing to have a mastopexy to gather the excess skin to shape the breasts. Your surgeon will likely use a sizer and have several implant options at hand to give you the look you desire. Good luck!

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon