Are my Breast Implants Bottomed Out?

Hi, I´m from Brazil, 34 years old female and 7 weeks post op. Since 1 week pots op I concerns about my left breast has bottoming out. I am a thin patient (130lbs, 5ft4in. 34A pre-op and did 330cc perthese ultra high gel coesive implant. My breasts before were very symmetrical though! Dr. said that we will wait at least 3-6 mths before we decide on anything. He would never say to me bottoming out though. What can I do now? Are my breast implants bottomed out?

Breast asimmetry

+4

Analyzing your photographs, there is -currently- an asimmetry: the right breast inframmamary fold is a little bit lowered comparing with the left side. i don't think it's a real bottom out. I think that in a very near future (3-6 month postop it will have to be fixed surgically [reconstruct the lowered fold]. It's very soon in this moment. I would try to use a "chest-band" (Veronique) -2 inch width- during daytime trying to fix the problem.

In the other hand, it's completely necesary to analyze your preoperative photos. I think that  probably  existed preoperatively a minimum degree of asimmetry (not only in inframmamary fold but in de nipple-areola complex simmetry). I think that your plastic surgeon's analisys will help you with the right decission.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Bottoming out

+4

It looks like in the photo that the right  implant is bottoming out a bit.  An in person exam would be helpful.  To treat this usually requires resuspending the fold internally with sutures and often placing smaller implants.

Probably not bottoming out

+3
Dear BRGirl I don,t think this is bottoming out but it probably is a lowering of the infra mammary fold. I would wait at least three months before doing a repair and might consider using alloderm or Stratford to reconstruct a lowered fold. Without seeing you pre op photo it may be that your folds were asymmetric before surgery and this is exaggerated by the surgery. Good luck but wait three months before the repair. Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Your Right Sided "Bottoming Out" Is Easily Repairable

+3

Your Right sided implant is positioned too low and will have to be moved up at about 6 months after surgery.

1.  Al though "Bottoming Out" is used to describe implants that have expanded the lower portion of the breast excessively usually much later than 7 weeks, your right breast implant is positioned too low.   
  2. This has caused a noticeable difference in your breasts (asymmetry) and will probably have to be fixed surgically.  You should wait until approximately 6 months after surgery to make sure healing is complete and that no further changes will occur.  At that point the symmetry can be improved with a relatively straight forward capsulorrhophy (tightening) of the pocket on the right side.  This should bring the right implant back up and greatly improve your result.

David L. Mobley, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry after breast augmentation

+3

Certainly your photo shows significant asymmetry in the breast. The fold on the right is indeed lower and this may be related to shape and asymmetry beforehand. It could be caused by an implant pocket which is simply too low on the right. The fold may have to be reset but Best now to wait though and let the skin envelop relax and accommodate the implant.

peterejohnsonmd

Bottoming out

+2

From the photos it looks like possibly there is some implant mal-position of the right breast.  You are only 7 weeks post op and you need to allow for things to heal completely before considering revisionary breast surgery.  I perform lots of revision breast surgery and almost always ask patients to wait 6 months to 1 year to allow for complete healing and also this time frame will allow for a better result with the revisionary surgery.  To correct "bottoming out", capsulorrhaphy would need to performed with permanent sutures to improve the placement of the implant on the chest wall.  Make sure your surgeon has experience with this type of surgery - ask questions - get references.

I had bilateral breast augmentation in Brazil Are my breasts bottoming out?

+2
It looks like your right infra mammary fold was released. The right implant is assuming a lower position that is why you right breast it less full on top. You are going to require a capsulorrhaphy on the right lower breast fold to make you symmetric.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation asymmetry

+2

BRGirl,

You do have asymmetrical results, but it would be helpful to see your pre-surgery pictures to be able to fully comment.  It does appear that your right breast shape is different and lower than the left breast.  Do you have shaped implants?  It is possible that the implant has rotated.  If you have round implants then perhaps the implant has displaced itself.  

If you are unhappy with your surgeon's recommendation, you should not feel guilty about asking for a second opinion, like you are doing here.  Here, however, we are limited in the amount of information you have provided us and the inability to examine you.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast contouring, #BreastAugmentation, #Breastlift, #mastopexy, #breastimplants

+2

Dear BRGirl in Brazil,

Thank you for your question. Which Breast do you like better? The difference in the shape of your breasts can be helped with a bandeau to push the left breast down ( if this is what you would like to see). Over the next couple of weeks you should see a change.  If your shape was symmetrical to begin with - then a symmetrical result can be achieved.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Bottomed out?

+2

Brazil,

If anything, it appears that your right implant is low.  This is most likely a consequence of placing the implant too low and not a "bottoming out" per se.  Bottoming out usually takes place over months or years.  I would also venture to say that your breasts were probably NOT symmetric before your surgery.  A look at the pre surgery photos will confirm that.  At any rate, it is common practice to wait 3-6 months before critically evaluating the results.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD